How to best extend SAP S/4HANA Cloud
Focusing on innovation and not just “staying alive”: This is what differentiates customers and partners of SAP in gaining competitive advantage. And extensibility is the key which will help them achieve just that.
In the past, extensions have been built by tight coupling of customer implementation on top of SAP code, resulting in difficulty in refactoring the code and the need for continuous improvements.
The extensibility strategy of SAP S/4HANA Cloud aims to overcome the challenges as well as fostering the cloud mindset by providing two modes for extensions: First, in-app extensibility to create extensions inside SAP S/4HANA Cloud itself; second, side-by-side extensibility, based on SAP Cloud Platform (SCP), to create extensions in conjunction with SAP S/4HANA Cloud.
Considering the above strategy, it is imperative to have a central place where anyone involved in the extensibility process can gain insight into the various types of extensibility options: This is where SAP Extensibility Explorer can help you explore the world of extensibility around SAP S/4HANA Cloud. At the heart of the SAP Extensibility Explorer, there is a rich repository of Sample Scenarios which show, in a hands-on way, how to realize a requirement leveraging different extensibility patterns.
SAP Extensibility Explorer for SAP S/4HANA Cloud @ https://www.sap.com/extendS4
Key Features of SAP Extensibility Explorer
- Get a comprehensive overview of all extension options around SAP S/4HANA Cloud (in-app and side-by-side extensibility).
- Learn typical implementation best practices of different extensions by leveraging ready-to-run samples.
- Set up samples on your landscape following the detailed steps in the set-up guides.
- Explore tools around SAP S/4HANA Cloud extensibility.
- Get an overview of common extensibility patterns for SAP S/4HANA Cloud.
The Extensibility Explorer sample scenarios are designed to help you get an overall understanding of various extensibility concepts/patterns. The samples are created within a specific business domain such as time recording or purchasing; however, they explain generic patterns which can be applied to multiple business domains.
The samples explain different aspects of extension development:
- How to create an SCP application and consume services of SAP S/4HANA Cloud.
- How to extend SAP S/4HANA Cloud by creating custom fields for existing business objects.
- How to add new business logic for SAP S/4HANA Cloud using in-app extensibility patterns, for example, create new business objects or provide custom business logic for existing business objects.
- How to get new insights into SAP S/4HANA Cloud data by creating your own analytical reports.
- How to use SAP S/4HANA Cloud business events to trigger an external application (for example, SCP application or service).
- How to create alternative user interfaces.
- How to build an SCP application to consume services from SAP S/4HANA (the on-premise system).
- How to automate SAP S/4HANA Cloud processes with SCP rules engine and workflow service, for example, automatic contract assignment.
- How to extend existing integration flowsto support custom fields.
Additionally, you can learn about technical aspects of development:
- Set up integration between SAP S/4HANA Cloud and external systems like SCP.
- Security aspects: Authentication, authorization, identity management, and trust.
- How to use SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK to consume SAP Cloud Platform services, call OData APIs of SAP S/4HANA Cloud, implement automated tests, and secure your Java application.
- How to implement a custom business logic in SAP S/4HANA Cloud using ABAP programming language.
All samples come with a set of very useful assets – high level architecture, process flow, detailed set-up guide, and source code (backend and UI). Leverage the rich repository to unleash the extensibility potential around SAP S/4HANA Cloud. SAP recommends that you don’t use these samples for any productive usage.
Where to find out more details on the product?
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud release info: http://www.sap.com/s4-cloudrelease
- Best practices for SAP S/4HANA Cloud here
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud User Community: register here
Follow us via @SAP and #S4HANA, or myself via @SDenecken