In my last blog post, I explained the difference between cloud printing and printing via proxy printers in SAP S/4HANA Cloud. I have mentioned that list printing via proxy printers is typically used in “classic” applications – applications that have been visually harmonized using the Fiori UI.
Now, you probably ask yourself: “What if I don’t need or want to print, for example, to save the environment? What if I only want to download the file from the system and save it locally on my computer or send it to a colleague?” Well, in that case, you can export the list as a PDF file.
To download a document in a PDF format when you work in one of the classic applications, choose the Print icon and proceed as follows:
- In the Print Screen List dialog box, select an output device by pressing F4. Enter DEV* in the Output Device field and search for it. Select DEVICE_FOR_PDF_EXPORT and continue.
- Unlike for printing, set the print time to SAP spool only for now, and hit the Continue (check) button. Note: If you choose a proxy printer as an output device and set the print time to Immediately, the document will be submitted to a print queue via the proxy printer and printed out. You will be able to download the document in a PDF format from the print queue in the Maintain Print Queues app, but if you just want to do the PDF export, proceed according to the next steps.
- Choose Export List to PDF.
- Now you can decide how you want to save the document. You have two options: You can create a new folder by choosing the folder icon with a plus inside to save the document there. Rename the document if necessary.Or you can simply download the document to your local file system by selecting the Save a copy to the native file system checkbox. After you have pressed Choose, just follow the Save Wizard of your browser.
- You will get the confirmation that your document has been successfully saved. If you have saved the file locally, it will be displayed in your local downloads folder and you can open it immediately. If not, you will need to use the WebGUI File Browser to export it to your local system. Follow the path in the Information Dialog.