Getting Started with Process Analytics with SAP Master Data Governance on S/4HANA 1809
With the SAP S/4HANA 1809 release you can analyze your governance, consolidation and mass processes to track e.g. processing time of change requests, amount of change requests or processes to be finalized. You can quickly and easily get an overview of the process quality, analyze and drill-down for further insights and activities. Process Analytics covers processes for Business Partner, Customer, Supplier, Contract Accounts, Products, Financial Accounting Data as well as Financial Controlling Data. For details, see my introductory blog on process analytics
How to get started?
Of course, you need to have SAP S/4HANA 1809 installed. In contrast to SAP Master Data Governance on ERP, where you need to install MDG as an add-on to the ECC component, SAP S/4HANA comes with all functionality of MDG aboard.
There are a few basic configuration steps required. You find all the relevant information in the SAP Fiori Apps library:
For each of the apps listed below you find the product features and the implementation information.
With S/4HANA 1809 we deliver the following apps:
F3118 – Master Data Process Overview – Business Partner
F3119 – Master Data Process Overview – Product
F3139 – Change Process Analysis – Product
F3140 – Change Process Analysis – Business Partner
F3141 – Change Request Analysis – Business Partner
F3150 – Change Request Analysis – Product
F3427 – Change Request Analysis – Financial Data
F3428 – Change Request Overview – Financial Data
For activating the apps you need to
- Activate the service – to be found under Configuration -> OData Service(s)
- Assign the role in the Frontend-Server. Also the Catalogs where the app is assigned to, are listed here.For all the analytical apps you need the role for ‘Master Data Specialist’ for Financial Data, Product, Business Partner
- Generate the PFCG-Role in the Backend
Then you should be able to select from the catalog the apps as arrange it in the launchpad to a group.
How to use Overview Pages?
The apps Master Data Process Overview for Business Partners, Products, Financial Data contain multiple cards and to get the most valuable insight you can make use of some generic functions of the Overview Page:
- So you can use the filter bar to restrict the results shown on the cards from the app.
For example with the filter ‘Created On’ you can filter for objects created during a specific period of time:
- For the Master Data Process Overview for Business Partner and Products we offer filter for the Change Request based cards as well as filter for Consolidation and Mass Processing based cards for precise selection and analysis of the data.
- With the variant management you can create user-defined views which can be shared with other users.The Share menu allows you to work with content outside the app, so you can save your view as tile or send it as Email
- Master Data Process Overview for Business Partner – here you have filter for getting the results for Customer or Supplier master data. By using the filter for ‘Business Object Type’ you can get the process over view for customer or supplier related change request when selecting Business Partner, Customer or Supplier as filter. The result can be saved as variant for customer or supplier for the user.
Master Data Process Overview for Financial DataWithin the Central Governance for Financial Data we distinct between Accounting Data and Financial Data. To have this reflected in the Overview Page for Financial Data, we deliver two pre-defined application views for ‘Accounting’ and Controlling’. To get both of the views, please implement the note 2678488 or the corresponding support package.
Having done this, you get these two views:
As financial data are governed with editions in the Central Governance, you can make also use the ‘edition’ as filter for the process overview for financial data. So you can analyze the Number of editions, grouped by edition status.
For the card ‘Open Change Requests’ for financial data, the card displays the number of change requests grouped by edition, change request status and change request type.
So this card provides insights into the current workload and can help to optimize the processing time of the open change requests and editions.
There is one card dedicated to the editions – Status of Editions. This card displays the number of editions grouped by edition status. It allows the navigation to the MDG Editions application which shows all available editions.
How to use Analytical List Pages
The Change Request Analysis app as well as the Change Process Analysis app are so-called Analytical List pages, which allow you to analyze and drill-down for further insights and activities related to these processes.
The Change Request Analysis apps are related to Central Governance processes, the Change Process Analysis apps are related to Consolidation and Mass Processing.
All these apps implement the SAP Fiori Analytical List Page floorplan (ALP) and share the same behavior (see https://experience.sap.com/fiori-design-web/analytical-list-page/ )
- Header with the filter bar, here: displaying visual filters for Number of Change Requests by Status, Number of Change Requests by Priority
- Change Requests Chart – smart chart for visualization, drill-down, filtering
- Change Request table – analytical table for detailed information, actions, export
With the Analytical List Pages you can
- Analyze change request processes or consolidation or mass processes using different drill-downs on dimensions, such as status, priority, and business object type
- Use graphical or compact filters for selecting your change requests / consolidation or mass processes, time-frame, status… to analyze the process data
- Navigate to the selected change request / consolidation or mass process
The layout of the analytical list page is quite flexible. Depending on the state of the analytical page header and the view in the content area, different content is displayed.
The expanded page header allows users to display either the visual filter bar or the filter bar using the button.
Visual filter bar
You can add more filters with the Adapt Filters button.
The content area shows different visualizations of the selected data. It can either display a hybrid view, a chart-only view or a table-only view. The analytical list page always comes with all three views.
In the hybrid view, users can interact with both the chart and table visualizations at the same time. In addition, the analytical list page supports a chart-only view and a table-only view.
From the table you users can directly navigate to the change request / consolidation or mass process for triggering follow-on activities to resolve the issues.
Analytical List Pages offers a versatile and powerful analysis
Now that you know about the handling and the set-up of overview pages and analytical list pages, I wish you insightful analytics with MDG.