50,000 Students! Thanks for Watching – by the SAP HANA Academy
Today, for the first time in our history, over 50,000 students have subscribed to the SAP HANA Academy. To celebrate this milestone, let me share with you a brief history, some highlights, and the top 5 of the Billboard Hot 100.
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel to join the party
In August 2012, a couple of months after the first general availability (GA) release of SAP’s brand new in-memory platform (High Performance Analytics Appliance to some, Hasso’s New Architecture to others), we started to publish our first hands-on tutorial videos about SAP HANA on the SAP Technology YouTube channel.
At the time, this was a radical concept, giving away training content, all for free. Nuts!
Below, one of the very first videos where we can hear Alexis Guinebertiere introducing the Explorer project and with Bob showing how you can use the command line utility to run a SQL query. This still works as-is on the latest SAP HANA release. No wonder this video has now been watched almost 20,000 times! Thanks guys.
SAP HANA Academy – HDBSQL – Command Line Utility to Run Our First Query
SAP HANA Academy
As the Technology channel administrator got a bit dizzy from the continuous requests to upload videos, we figured it would be better to start our own YouTube channel. We joined YouTube on October 30, 2012, our anniversary date (we just turned 6). Since then, we have uploaded 2,358 videos and together they have been watched 5.6 million times with 19,124,034 minutes of view time. That’s 318,734 hours, 13,280 days or 37,2 years of non-stop watch time! And counting…
Together with the Academy videos on the Technology channel, the tutorials have had close to 8 million views.
Best Watched 2018
Below our Top 5 for 2018. Overviews tutorials and S/4HANA videos were high in demand.
- SAP S/4HANA: Core Data Services – 03 Creating Basic Views – viewed 26,674 times
- SAP S/4HANA: Core Data Services – 01 Intro & Setup – 20,623 views
- SAP HANA Administration: Architecture – Overview [SPS 09] – 15,046 views
- Modeling in XSA: Web IDE Overview – 14,872 views
- SAP HANA Academy – XS Advanced: Overview – 13,872
Best Watched Ever (BWE)
The most viewed video by a large margin is, no surprise, the Welcome to the SAP HANA Academy video. Version number 1 has been viewed 303K times. The original video is no longer available, the link is to the latest version. The Welcome is on autoplay, so, fair enough, we would be cheating a bit to include it on our BWE list.
Below our Top 5 best watched ever. Do you remember?
- SAP HANA Administration: Architecture – Overview [SPS 09] – 80K views
- SAP S/4HANA: Core Data Services – 03 Creating Basic Views – 62K views (similar view counts for the other videos from this series)
- SAP S/4HANA: Launching a Free 1511 Trial in SAP CAL – 39K views
- Building Solutions: Live2 – 1e. Basic Introduction to SAP HANA Studio – 36K views
- SAP HANA Academy – XS Advanced: Overview – 35K views
There is Something for Everyone
Video tutorials are bundled in playlists and we have playlists for every role and persona:
- Database Management (Database Administrator)
- Modeling and Analytics (Data Analyst)
- Provisioning (Data Architect)
- Application Development and Delivery (Application Developer)
- Predictive Analysis (Data Scientist)
Since the SAP HANA 1.0 SPS 05 release (introducing XS and SAPUI5), we have created the video tutorials to accompany all the new SAP HANA releases and we will be continuing to do so.
For the overview blog list, see
Additionally, there are multiple playlists with end-to-end business scenarios, Building Solutions, where we teach you how to create fully functional apps starting from scratch covering different tools and technologies.
More recently, you can also find a lot of brand new video tutorial content about the SAP Cloud Platform, S/4HANA and B/4HANA.
Thank you for watching
The SAP HANA Academy provides free online video tutorials for the developers, consultants, partners and customers of SAP HANA.
Topics range from practical how-to instructions on administration, data loading and modeling, and integration with other SAP solutions, to more conceptual projects to help build out new solutions using mobile applications or predictive analysis.
For the full library, see SAP HANA Academy Library – by the SAP HANA Academy.
For the full list of blogs, see Blog Posts – by the SAP HANA Academy.