Transform data from ECC to HANA using SLT
In this blog I am going to discuss about the data transformation capability inside SLT.
Some time it is required to transform data itself inside SLT before replicating to SAP HANA as per the scenario. This types of conversion is very useful when transformation is not possible in HANA or need to transform data before replication.
Before we going to the detail steps let’s check the architecture and inside module function when you execute operation Suspend and Stop.
DB trigger a piece of code that triggers when any data changes occurred in a table and load the data from the table to logging table. Read module load the data from the logging table and Read module load the data from Logging table.
When suspend operation executed executed the connection between the logging table and read module disconnected. Logging table and DB Triger remain unchanged. As a result the changes after suspend operation will be stored in the logging table.
Resume : When Resume operation invoked the connection between the logging table and read Connected again and all the changed data stored in logging table resume to transmit.
Stop : Once you execute stop operation it will delete the DB trigger and the logging table . All the changes happened to the source table after invoking Stop operation will lost .
It better to start initial load after stop operation.
Below are the example how to transform the data with steps :
- Click on start ->click on sap front end ->click on sap logon:
- Log into the ECC :
- Enter user name and password and press enter:
- First we will first create a RFC connection.Here I am using already created configuration. This is our RFC configuration.
- Click on create session:
- Enter tcode as SE11 and press enter :
- Enter table name. Here I am taking ZCOPATABLE1 in database table.Click on display.
- We see our table with respective columns like ZKUNNR, ZMATNR :
- First, replicate ZCOPATABLE1.Make sure the table has “replicated” status. The status is table is in replicating process.So, go to HANA studio and go to Data Provisioning option –
- Select our source system and then need to select the target schema respectively.But here we do not know the target schema name. So we need to go to the LTRC to know the configuration name. Configuration name should be same as target schema name.
- In HANA studio, select that target schema name same as target schema.Here we select that name.And below we see default tables. Default tables are DD02T, DD02L and DD08L.
- Now we need to go back to the SAP log on (in ECC) and go to the configuration same name as the target schema.Open the configuration. We will see that default tables only present –
- I want to add another table.Click on data provisioning :
- Enter our table. Which table do you want to replicate.Here I take ZCOPATABLE1. Click on execute.
- At top we see refresh button. Click on refresh.
- Here we see our replicated table.Double click on our table.
- Double click on the table:
- Go to display page. Click on display change icon.
- In the above screenshot we can see all the fields of the table .Now we will add a field. First enter the field name and then click on predefined type.
- Like below, we will add field.
- This is activating symbol. Click on activate.
- Click on execute and Click on continue.This will activate the table as local object.
- Again go back and click on content:
- Click on execute:
- The added column also we can see from the HANA end from HANA studio :
- Let’s go back to the data browse table in ECC. Click on change. Change is used for inserting values.
- Enter value.
- Click on save.Here we see our inserting value.
- We can change, insert, delete, add columns, change data types, length of a column, change descriptions inside the SLT.
#Whatever you do except a limitation when we change the key of the table#
In the next blog I will discuss how we can overcome this limitation using SLT.
very useful blog post for beginners in bw/hana . thanks for this post ....
We have requirement where we need to extract a field from the standard table without the leading zeroes in enterprise HANA system.
We have an intermediate SLT system between the enterprise HANA and S/4HANA system
We would need confirmation on two things:
1. Approach: We are planning to enhance a custom field which is a copy of the standard field in the table during SLT replication similar to what is being depicted in this blog.
We would want to know whether this is possible at the SLT layer.
2. Data Load: Once we have the field enhanced per step 1 mentioned above, we need the strategy to update the historical records in the table i.e. should the data be dropped and reloaded or we should run an update statement to update the new column for historical records.