Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning have evolved over the years – and here at SAP as well, a lot of updates and new additions happened to leverage these technologies into the SAP suite of products. In today’s writing, I will give a brief overview about the different approaches available to leverage Predictive Intelligence wih S/4HANA business processes.
As you know, Predictive Analytics is the “analysis of historical information and existing external data” to find patterns and make informed decisions about future events. It is an area of study, not specific technology and existed long before Artifical Intelligence. As a general rule, any attempt to quantify the possible future based on past events is encompassed by Predictive Analytics. It attempts to identify patterns, classify groups of items, forecast the most likely scenarios by comparing current conditions to historical data and placing the results in a modern context. etc., With the advent of AI, predictive intelligence forms the core of intelligence in the process of an AI infused environment.
A brief history:
During the pre-S/4HANA days, we have leveraged the then Predictive Analytics technologies to augment intelligence into the SAP ECC processes externally by leveraging the “HANA Platform to build the data models”, and utilize the “Predictive Analytics platofrm to build predictive models”, finally “visualizing the results” with the different BI tools. The following picture illustrates the same.
How it all fits together:
As we discussed in the above section, SAP’s journey into the world of Artificial Intelligence started a while back with the evolution of the Predictive Analytics tools and how they have been integrated into the ERP products even before the days of S/4HANA. You might have followed some of my earlier blogs on the Predictive Analytics RDS package and how that could be leveraged and implemented.
Here is a pictorial representation starting from the ECC and HANA Live days and how we have now progressed with embedding Predictive Intelligence into S/4HANA, expanding to SAP Cloud Platform services, exending with the SAP Analytics Cloud etc., and further more. We shall dive a bit deeper into these approaches in the later section.
The Different Approaches:
As you might have now understood with the advent of S/4HANA and the iincubation technologis that comprise of AI (suchas Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, Intelligent Process Automation, Natural Language Interface, Blockchain, IoT), SAP is actively involved in the evloution of the Intelligent Enterprise.
While we have started embedding Predictive Intelligence into the S/4HANA business processes for the operational users to leverage out-of-the-box functionality, there are additonal machine learning hybrid models built on the SAP Cloud platform that are consumed by the S/4HANA processes. We are further working on extending Predictive Intelligence with SAP Analytics Cloud for the business user.
Here is a high level overview of these different approaches..
This will continue as a blog series discussing the various topics around how Predictive Intelligence can be leveraged around S/4HANA:
- Part 1 – Leveraging Predictive Intelligence with SAP S/4HANA (this blog)
- Part 2 – Architecture and deep-dive of the different approaches around Predictive Intelligence
- Part 3 – Process flow leveraging Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics
- Part 4 – Scope and functionality in the context of an end-to-end process leveraging ML
- Part 5 – Activating machine learning functionality for SAP S/4HANA
- Part 6 – Building ML into the digital core of SAP S/4HANA (Embedded ML)
- Part 7 – Enhancing the digital core with ML Services (Side-by-Side ML)
- Part 8 – Extending the digital core by leveraging ML with SAP Analytics Cloud
- Part 9 – ML Extensions to SAP S/4HANA processes
- Part 10 – Leveraging Machine Learning with the ISLM Framework
- Introducing the book – Implementing Machine Learning with SAP S/4HANA
Happy predicting the future!!