Empties and Full Products in S/4HANA Product Master Application
Empties are a type of returnable transport packaging or sales packaging that is normally subject to a deposit. Empties are assigned to a full product, for example, a crate containing 24 empty bottles is assigned to the full product “lemonade”.
Empties consist of several components that are summarized in a bill of material for empties. The full product and the unit of measure make up the bill of material header. The unit of measure of the empties must be one of the units of measure permitted for the full product.
The individual components in the bill of material and the full product itself each have their own article master record.
In the standard SAP Retail system, you create empties as single articles of article type Empties (Retail) . The full product can belong to the following article types:
Variant of a generic article
The corresponding full product must not belong to the article type Empties (Retail).
The “With empties BOM” indicator must be set for the full product.
Full Products in S/4HANA Product Master Application
As of SAP S/4HANA 1709, you can create a full product with Empties BOM in the Product Master Application. Unlike in the classical transactions, the user is allowed to create/edit/delete multiple BOM alternatives in the same draft. The user is allowed to add/edit/delete components from multiple alternatives also in the same.
To create the a full product, follow the below steps.
- Create a Single Article in Product Master Application and fill all the basic fields in the pop-up and click on ok.
- Under Basic Data Section, select the check-box for “Has Empties”.
- Navigate to unit of measure section and select any one of the unit of measure.
- Go to Components section and click on plus button to add components.An empty row will be created.
- Now attach the articles you want and enter the quantity associated with it.
- Click on save after adding the relevant articles as components.
To see a working example, follow the link.