Prior to 2018.22 release of SAP Analytics Cloud, customers had two choices for establishing live connections to their on-premise data systems (i.e. SAP HANA, SAP BW, SAP BusinessObjects Universes, etc):
- Live connections via Path (aka Reverse Proxy approach)
- Live connection via Direct (aka CORS approach)
As of 2018.22 release, creation of Live connections via Direct will be the recommended choice going forward. This has the following impact:
- New customer tenants provisioned on 2018.22 release or after, will only have the option to create Live connections via Direct (CORs approach). The option for Live connections via Path will not be available.
Existing customer tenants provisioned prior to 2018.22 release will not be impacted. If there are already existing Path connections created in the system, these Path connections will remain supported by SAP Analytics Cloud. However, it is recommended for customers to consider creating Live connections via Direct going forward.
This decision was taken for the following reasons:
- Connectivity setup is simpler via CORs approach.
- For connectivity scenarios within corporate network, there is no need to deploy additional hardware which would have been necessary to support a Reverse Proxy approach.
- SAP Analytics Cloud embedded scenarios with SSO would not be possible to support via Reverse Proxy approach.
Please refer to the SAP Analytics Cloud – Data Connection Guides for more information on setting up live connections via Direct approach to on-premise data systems: https://www.sapanalytics.cloud/guided_playlists/