I get pretty many questions around SDI, where I have the feeling that people don’t understand the overall picture. So I try to outline this here WITHOUT going into the details of each step as that is documented nicely in the online documentation. And it does NOT include EVERY step.
The best entry point you can under help.sap.com/IBP –> section “Related Products”, pick the correct link and from there go to the Application Help. There is a nice chapter “How Does the Integration Work” which everyone should read!!!
As of today, it is not possible to create or change master or transactional data manually for real usage within IBP for the external data needed for Response and Supply. And you cannot use the Data Integration App for that purpose either
Hence, SDI = Smart Data Integration is used for this purpose.
Plus, since IBP release 1811 the time series based integration via CPI-DS (Cloud Platform Integration for Data Services, formerly known as HCI) was enhanced with the first templates for supply processes which grab the /IBP/…-tables on ECC or S/4HANA side via extractors. It is possible to do source code based extensions to these extractors. For that, the steps need to be done until you fill the tables in ECC or S/4HANA.
In every step I try to list prerequisites and suggest which role can take the job, but that may differ from project to project and is only a rough guideline in order to discuss your resource upfront a project
So, here you go:
- In IBP by consultant: Create a planning area for response, usually based on template SAP7
You can adjust the model to your needs, but that is not necessary for the pure SDI integration
Prerequisite: IBP System available
- In IBP by consultant: Configure Settings for Orderbased Planning for your planning area
Prerequisite: Planning area available
- In ECC or S/4HANA by BASIS team: Install AddOn for either classical ECC (even when on HANA) or S4/HANA.
The AddOn differs for the two and you can find related info under help.sap.com/IBP –> section “Related Products”, pick the correct link and from there go to the Administrator’s guide
Prerequisite: You need an IBP license in order to download the necessary software
In ECC or S/4HANA by BASIS / Development / consultant: Check OSS Notes for the AddOn: Most should be included in the AddOn already if you pick the most recent ones, but there are always new OSS notes that are valid until the next upgrade of the AddOn. Depending of the note’s content you may decide to install them as well
- In ECC or S/4HANA by AUTHORIZATION team: Create roles and users for the integration
The relevant “Security Information” can be found in help.sap.com/IBP –> section “Related Products”, pick the correct link and from there go to the Administrator’s guide –> Security Information
Prerequisite: AddOn installed
- On any server on premise or in a demilitarized zone (DMZ) by BASIS team or your hoster company:A) Install DP-Agent = Data Provisioning Agent = SDI Agent (all just different wordings)
Prerequisites: Have a server available. And depending on whether you install on Linux or windows server make sure you have someone that knows the related transactions. You need an IBP license in order to download the necessary softwareB) Configure Agent.
Prerequisite: Have the user’s password from the initial IBP system notification for the users SDIINTEG (the technical integration user) and SDICONFIG (the user needed for configuration). If that isunknown or you hae the feeling that the users are locked, raise OSS ticket with component XX-INT-CLD-APPSHANA or SCM-IBP-INT-SDI.
Make sure all needed ports are open, and whether you need to work with proxies.
- In ECC or S/4HANA by BASIS / Development / consultant: Configuration settings such as NDV2, BF11, BD61 etc, similar with what you need to do for CIF setup. Can be found in the “Setting Up the System Infrastructure” of the administrator guide (see above)
Prerequisite: AddOn installed in ECC or S/4HANA
- In IBP by consultant together with BASIS: Configure remote source (own Tile ) and test it
Usually BASIS does not know the App, but they have the information you need to fill out there. Here you need the user’s credentials created with step 5.
In ECC or S/4HANA by Development / consultant: BADI Implementation. A BAdI = BUSINESS Add In is meant to influence customer’s business data.
With the BAdI implementation you influence the content (but not the structure) of what is loaded via the /IBP/…-reports into the Interface-tables. This can include e.g. selection criteria into the integration model, or removal of special signs from table content.
It is very likely that you need a BADI, but you may be able to have an initial first load on few data without any. Help can be found in the Application help of the AddOn (see above)
Prerequisite: AddOn installed to have the /IBP/… reports and tables available
- In ECC or S/4HANA by consultant:
A) Configure the basic IBP integration which you can find if you execute transaction /n/IBP/INT_MENU to open the new IBP-menu
Prerequisites: AddOn installed and basic settings from step 7 executedB) Run the reports to fill the /IBP/-tables in ECC (and later schedule them on regular basis) and check result in the /IBP/…._EXT – tables.
These tables are later transmitted 1:1 without any further logic into the IBP system, where the tables exist identically.
Prerequisites: basic IBP integration settings maintained
- In IBP by consultant: Run the integration job in the “Application Jobs” tile based on the remote source in IBP (and later schedule them on regular basis)
Prerequisite: All above done. Make sure you select an API that fits with the ECC or S/4HANA AddOn release else the job will fail.
- In IBP by consultant: Check result of integration in the Apps of the General Response Planner such as “View Products” for product master data or “View Projected stock” for transactional data.
For proper Response functionalities you need some more configuration depending on your relevant processes such as maintaining the “Forecast Consumption Profile” and assign it to location products, which for this example can be found in the group of the “Order-based Planning Configuration”. Some of them need additional master data maintenance in ECC or S/4HANA, either manually by transaction e.g. /IBP/ECC_MDSET, or via automatic fill via BADI, before interfacing them to IBP. But this shall NOT be part of this high level guidance.
Hope you enjoy…
Amendment Feb 22, 2019: For the re-use of the Add-On for CPI-DS-based time series data load:
- The OSS note 2735177 – IBP Integration – mapping overview for time series content has just been released with it’s first version. It describes which extractors are available and which fields are mapped from where.
- And the new RDS-Content provides a nice document that describes relevant steps.
It is a bit tricky to find: Within the RDS page, scroll down to the “Solution Scope” and here open “Integrated Business Planning for sales and operations”. Choose “Open “IBP – time-series-based inbound integration with SAP S/4HANA (3OF)”. In the next window, search for the “Test script” . Especially, but not only chapter 4 is very helpful.