Role-Based Permissions Beginner Steps
The name, Role-Based Permissions (RBP), is relatively self-explanatory in its function. As you might have guessed, RBP controls access to the SAP SuccessFactors application and what users can see and edit. And thus, is what makes it important.
Good news is that RBP is simpler to use and provides a lot more capabilities than the legacy security permission model. Here are some benefits you will appreciate:
- Automation of permissions assigned to users using dynamic groups
- Definition of user access based on employee attributes, hierarchies and relationships
- Ability to grant more granular permissions for sensitive data/information
- Auditing of changes to security
While it is currently required for many recent developments (e.g. Fiori, Data Protection, etc.) it will be required for all new capabilities coming in Q2 2019 Release Cycle. Please note, customers not migrated by then will be auto-migrated (RBP switch will be enabled only). Customers will not be able to login until they complete their permission/security setup. No worries, we have documentation and guides so you can start today and in Q4 2018, we will be delivering an RBP Migration Tool to help you.
Since there’s prep work to be done let’s get started now!
Step 1 – Request Instance Refresh (recommended for Test or Preview instances).
We recommend that an Instance Refresh is completed before beginning the RBP migration project. This helps to ensure that testing is consistent post-RBP implementation. An Instance Refresh can take 2-4 weeks, so please allow enough time.
Step 2 – Determine the level of your security model complexity
Each product security model can be categorized as simple or complex. Use this section to evaluate your level of complexity to determine whether or not you may need to engage with an Implementation Partner to complete your RBP migration.
Step 3 – Request RBP be enabled as well as Super Administrator Creation.
Once RBP is enabled and you logout, only the Super Administrator will be able to login and assign administrator(s) to manage roles in RBP.
Step 4 – Use the RBP Migration Tool (avail Q4 2018) and follow on screen wizard.
Keep in mind, you don’t have to wait. Information and documentation is available to get you started now. Here are some helpful links:
- Customer Community: Migrating to Role-Based Permissions
- Help.SAP.com: Migrating to Role-Based Permissions step-by-step guide
- On-Demand Webinar: Migration to Role-Based Permissions: Getting Started
- Coming Soon! Customer Office Hours – Join to learn from RBP experts
- Coming Soon! Live RBP Migration How-to Webinars