OpenUI5 at Your Fingertips and with Monthly Releases
Our previous announcement introduced monthly releases for SAPUI5 and OpenUI5 – a great way to try fresh innovations every month. Today, we’d like to highlight new options to consume OpenUI5, but also quickly wrap up what will stay as is.
For your reference, this is the gist of the earlier announcement: “UI5 introduces an increased delivery frequency with monthly releases after version 1.60. This enables you to consume new features sooner, while at the same time you can ensure stability with a maintenance version, just like you are doing today for your productive environments.”
As you may know, OpenUI5 is the open source version of SAPUI5. OpenUI5 is the heart piece of SAPUI5 and both releases stem from the same codebase; therefore, all concepts apply for both variants.
What’s new for OpenUI5
- OpenUI5 on npm: Install library packages and tools with the npm modules
- The build tooling simplifies your development setup and integrates nicely with the npm packages
- No more preview releases! If you want to try the cutting edge stuff, you can use the nightly CDN instead
Figure 1: Four glorious options to consume OpenUI5
What remains as is
- OpenUI5 can be consumed from the versioned CDN with no setup needed
- All releases can also be downloaded from the download page on OpenUI5.org
- The nightly Demo Kit will continue to be up-to-date on a daily basis, documentation as well as code
- The OpenUI5 GitHub repository contains all recent commits and releases to build your own UI5 at any time
- Separate repositories for Build Tooling, UI5 Inspector, Template repositories, Helpers, etc. are not affected. They will receive updates as soon as new changes are ready to be released
- Fixes are provided with the next release. Patches for showstoppers are provided as needed
We switched our OpenUI5 communication from tumblr to the SAP Community tagged #UI5official and #OpenUI5. That’s because here, we can leverage the functionality for comments, links, likes and sharing. Stay tuned for more announcements as we are currently working on improving our OpenUI5 related communication and Web presence and will soon inform the community here.