Welcome to the SAP Cloud Platform Portal Developer challenge 2018 starting October 17, 2018 (and running until January 31, 2019). We would like to invite you to this contest to demonstrate your developer excellence and leverage the development features of SAP Cloud Platform Portal.
Check out the official rules document of this challenge (the legal stuff). If you prefer the short and simple version, then continue with this blog.
What is in it for you? All participants of the challenge will receive a SAP Cloud Platform Portal Developer Award of Excellence. There will be awards for all participants, and special awards for the finalists and for the winner.
In addition the winner of the challenge will be offered one conference pass for SAP TechEd 2019 in Las Vegas or Barcelona or Bangalore (depending on the preference of the winner and provided that the SAPTechEds next year will still take place at these locations).
I. What is the task?
SAP Cloud Platform is #whereTheCoolShitHappens. If you are already developing on SAP Cloud Platform and plan to do so, then this is the opportunity for you to show us how you would leverage the developer capabilities of SAP Cloud Platform Portal. Create an idea for a cool business use case and start with the implementation of a Cloud Portal site in SAP Fiori design or freestyle.
We have created a special wiki page dedicated to provide you with detailed information about the task of this challenge. It will also give you details on the development capabilities of SAP Cloud Platform Portal.
Get also inspired by watching this movie, which is focusing on presenting examples/business cases of freestyle Portal sites:
II. Validation Criteria
A jury with members of the SAP Portal Product Management team and additional Cloud Portal experts will validate all submissions on the following criteria:
- Technical Level
- Business Relevance
- Design/User Experience
III. Development Environments and Backend Systems
You can leverage the SAP trial and demo landscapes for this challenge.
You create access to the SAP Cloud Platform demo account in the Neo environment and enable Cloud Platform Portal. All Cloud Platform trial accounts have access to the SAP Web IDE Full-Stack application. You can instantly start developing in this web environment by accessing it from your trial account’s cockpit.
We have the following demo backend systems available to access business data:
- ES5 for public gateway access: checkout this tutorial on how to connect to ES5 demo system https://www.sap.com/developer/tutorials/gateway-demo-signup.html
- API Business Hub, which can give access to all SAP LoBs OData APIs
- Northwind OData service with SAP Web IDE
- Any REST API available on the Web (Open Weather Map, Google Services, etc.)
Note: You can also use your own SAP backend-systems.
IV. How to Participate
- First you should check if you are a resident of the countries which are eligible to participate (see FAQs and legal rules document).
- As soon as you start your project, notify us by writing a short comment to this blog. Contact also the SAP Portal product management team by sending an email to email@example.com and inform us about your plan to join the challenge. With this email you then officially join the challenge.
- When you are finished with your project, submit your contribution to this challenge by creating a blog on SAP Community.
- Create a blog and write in the title “SAP Cloud Platform Portal Developer Challenge: <your own title> “.
- Tag your blog with “SAP Cloud Platform Portal”. Add as additional tags “SAP Cloud Platform” and maybe additional other tags, which fit to your content.
- Describe your development project and your business case explicitly in the blog and insert screenshots and/or a link to a recording.
- Publish your blog, create a comment to this blog and insert your blog link.
- Contact again the Portal product management team by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and inform us that your blog was published. We will use your email address to contact you in case we need further information on your project, as well as to send your Developer Award and also the important information that you are the winner of the SAP TechEd pass in 2019.
V. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the official legal rules of the challenge?
Have a look at the official rules document.
What is the timeline for the challenge?
The challenge starts on October 17, 2018.
The challenge ends January 31, 2019.
The winner will be announced around middle of February 2019 in this blog. You will also be informed via email.
Which countries and individuals are eligible to participate?
Submissions are only permitted from individuals resident in one of the following countries:
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada (Excluding Quebec), Chile, China, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, The United States, and Venezuela.
Employees, officers and representatives of SAP, and related companies, as well as their employees and immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. For more information check out the the official rules document.
How are the entries evaluated, how is the winner defined?
All submissions (“entries”) will be reviewed by a jury, which consists of experts from the SAP Portal team and additional Cloud Portal experts. This jury team will define the winner and place 2 and 3. The criteria for validation will be: technical level; creativity and innovation; business relevance; design and user experience.
The jury reserves the right to exclude from the challenge any blog without meaningful content. Once we have reviewed your blog and taken a first sight, we will tell you in the blog comments, that your contribution was accepted. The winner will be defined only after the challenge is completely finished and we will have received all submissions.
What prizes are available?
All accepted participants of the challenge will receive a SAP Cloud Portal Developer Award of Excellence, which we will send you in a document format via email once the challenge is finished. There will be awards for all participants, and special awards for the finalists (the 3 best contributions).
Only the winner of the challenge will be offered one conference pass for SAP TechEd 2019 (you can choose if you prefer Las Vegas or Barcelona or Bangalore). Note: if you contribute as a team, you must agree on one person to get the pass.
How many times can you create a blog and participate in the challenge?
Only one entry per person/team is permitted.
Who do I contact with questions and concerns?
Leave comments to this blog or write us an email to email@example.com.
We are looking forward to receiving your submissions!