University of Notre Dame Tech Industry Night
On October 10th, Andrea Anderson and I represented SAP at the inaugural Tech Industry Night at the University of Notre Dame. SAP’s David Fowler was also at the event to participate in the networking segment. We were invited to participate because of my membership on the Mendoza College of Business Corporate Advisory Board and were joined by technology professionals from Google, Nielson, Sony and IBM. It was a lively discussion attended by about fifty graduate students and we were fortunate to speak with many of them individually during the networking portion of the event. I believe we helped to demystify the tech industry and highlighted the great opportunities and rewards of careers in our field.
The event was targeted at graduate business students to help them consider and pursue career opportunities in the tech sector. The high-level objectives for the evening included:
- Defining the Tech Sector
- Providing a clearer understanding of Functions & Roles in Tech
- Notre Dame metrics related to Tech Placement
- Preparing & Researching Tech Careers
- Q&A with Panelists
Some of the top questions for the panelists included:
- How “techy” were you?
- Personal experiences breaking into Tech for the non-tech?
- What are your day to day tasks?
- Top Technology Trends & how do you stay up to date?
- How do Enterprise Sales differ in the Tech Industry & how do we prep if we’ve never sold into enterprise teams?
- Tech Opportunities for Growth?
- Tech Industry Challenges?
- How would you design tech into the MBA program?