This is an informal collection of information I have gathered from playing with the AS ABAP dev editions and from Community feedback. The information and links here are not endorsed by SAP – use this at your own risk.
01 Oracle Virtual Box
Move VMs from one drive to another
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55003– official guide
https://dirkstrauss.com/moving-virtualbox-vm/ – third-party guide – use at own risk, but I found the screenshots etc better
Copy VMs from one drive/location to another
Unfortunately, you are expected to do this using the Workstation (which is not free), not the Player. I followed this unofficial guide, but do this at your own risk:
- Copy and paste the folder according to the VMWare docu, steps 1-4: VMWare: Copying a Workstation virtual machine… . NOTE: Make sure the VM is powered off.
- Back in VM Player, choose Open a Virtual Machine , as described here: Workaround to Clone VMPlayer Virtual Machines
NOTE: At the step Play virtual machine, I chose “I copied it”, so that a new UUID and MAC address are generated.
- I then had to change the IP address before starting up my AS ABAP server:
- Check the IP address by entering sudo ifconfig
- Open the hosts file by entering sudo nano /etc/hosts
- Using this IP address, add a new entry of the form:
<IP address> <hostname> <hostname>.dummy.nodomain
ie <IP address> vhcalnplci vhcalnplci.dummy.nodomain
- Save your changes by choosing Ctrl+o, then Enter.
- Quit the editor by choosing Ctrl+x.
- Check the changes by using the command sudo cat /etc/hosts
- Start your AS ABAP server as normal.
Convert VirtualBox files to work with VMWare Player
- Follow the instructions here: https://www.howtogeek.com/125640/how-to-convert-virtual-machines-between-virtualbox-and-vmware/
When that is done, and you get a success message, you still have to make the following SAP-specific settings:
- Check proxy settings:
- If nec., disable and remove entry -> log out
- Re-enter -> log out
- Change IP address:
- IP address, Vbox = 10.0.2.15
- IP address, VMWare = eg 168.177.130 – in hosts (Lnx); hosts (Win); SAPGUI
- Optional, but necessary to work with Fiori apps: Test your HTTP connection.
- You can then delete the Virtual Box Guest additions and install VM tools (as described by howtogeek above)
Move VMs from one drive to another
https://communities.vmware.com/thread/466994 – forum thread – use at own risk
02 Other virtual machines / container approach
These are tips from Community members, who have tried out a non-default VM. They are all own-risk. I have not tested them.
Dockerfile for AS ABAP 7.5x, by Tobias Hofmann.
(with openSUSE Leap, as is our default)
Great detailed guide by Fabian Lupa
Parallels Desktop 14
(with Debian 9)
Vagrant (Cloud Repository)
03 Other Linux distros
Similarly, these are tips from Community members, who have tried out a non-default Linux distro. They are all own-risk. I have not tested them.
This has been tested by a Community member. According to him, you must, however, set SHMMAX and SHMALL correctly. For more information, consult the CentOS 7 docu.
(on Parallels Desktop 14)
Ubuntu Desktop 16.04
Great detailed guide by dylan drummond
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
By Prakash S (@eprsonline)
04 Working with AS ABAP
Briefly, abapGIT is a GIT client written in ABAP for ABAP. It offers an easy way for developers to upload their ABAP development objects to / import others’ interesting development objects to an openly available Git site. And it really is easy.
Follow this blog for a great, end-to-end guide to installing the tool and cloning a sample package into your developer edition: https://blogs.sap.com/2017/06/21/abapgit-so-easy/ (GrahamRobbo)
There is a useful collection of projects here: http://dotabap.org/
Business Suite / ERP / S/4HANA content – How can I access this?
…including ERP dev objects like BAKR, or transactions like VA01?
You can’t. There is no Suite content in the developer edition.
The developer edition is intended for people to learn more about the ABAP language and tools. It is not aimed at those wanting to learn about business applications such as S/4HANA or the Business Suite.
Can I connect to my server from different computer?
Yes. However, If you want to see the VM, you need to use a Bridged network. It’s probably worth looking at the VBox manual but here is what worked for me:
- Back up your hosts files on Windows and Linux.
- In Vbox Manager, select the VM go to Network > NAT -> Bridged
- In the openSUSE instance, open Terminal and find your IP address using sudo ifconfig
- Then enter this IP address mapping in the hosts file using sudo nano /etc/hosts (and comment out the NAT entry):
<IP Address> vhcalnplci vhcalnplci.dummy.nodomain
- Restart your openSUSE instance.
- Update your Windows hosts file with the new IP address mapping (and comment out the NAT entry).
- Change your SAPLogon entry from 127.0.0.1 to <IP Address>
To change back to NAT:
- In Vbox Manager, select the VM go to Network > NAT
- In Terminal, check that the IP address = 10.0.2.15 using ifconfig
- Edit the hosts file using sudo nano /etc/hosts :
10.0.2.15 vhcalnplci.dummy.nodomain vhcalnplci
- Restart you Linux instance.
- Edit the Win hosts file: 127.0.0.1 localhost
- Change SAPLogon to 127.0.0.1
- If this fails : test in Win cmd : ping vhcalnplci (It may be necessary to comment out other entries)
- If this fails : Check Port Forwarding:
More info : VBox Guide 6.5.
Can I connect to SAP HANA Express?
In 7.52, this seems to work well. By Uwe Fetzer
For 7.51, Alban Leong has described the process in detail
05 Error downloading and extracting
If you get an error when downloading: try deleting your cookies. Try Firefox, not Chrome or IE. (Firefox handles certificates differently.)
If that fails, try contacting the support team from the link below:
06 Error/ issue installing
Error: “Assertion failed: Unable to generate a new password”…
1. User name / password contains special characters
2. Password is too short / long
3. Obsolete ASE license
- Check the expiry date of your ASE license in sybase/NPL/SYSAM-2_0/licenses/SYBASE_ASE_TestDrive.lic
- If necessary, update it from here: New Sybase License
- NOTE: We do not have the resources to update the .rar files continually. Therefore, if the version has been available for some time, it is possible that the license file has already expired. If so, put the new .lic file in the same folder as the script file, using the name SYBASE_ASE_TD.lic .You do not need to edit the .tar files.
4. Try changing the password for sapsa
…as described in 1706410 – SYB: Security – Changing passwords for database users
Error: “Hostname is not local” OR „hostname … either on a loopback adapter or not active on the server”
- Do not change the hostname: Check the hostname in Terminal: cat nano /etc/hostname
- Make sure you are not using DHCP: In YaST > System > Network Settings, Set Hostname via DHCP = No:
(Background: Depending on your DHCP setup, the operating system may change the host name – which means that vhcalnplci is no longer configured locally.)
Error: “An error occurred renaming system”.
Do not change the hostname: Check the hostname in Terminal: cat nano /etc/hostname
07 Troubleshooting resources
Troubleshooting ABAP developer edition issues
Search first! Then creae a new question in the ABAP Development Community forum:
If it is an issue involving ABAP developer edition, remember to add the hashtag #ABAP_Trial as a User Tag. (Please do not simply include #ABAP_Trial in the text or title, if you want one of us to find it.)
Please do not use comments in the blogs to ask tech support questions :
- It makes it difficult for other users to find similar issues in future, which leads to many duplicated errors.
- Very few people follow these blogs, so you will not get help from the vast majority of the community
- There is no capacity to monitor all blogs for all released versions.
- There should be some log files in /tmp/sapinst_instdir . Please send us the errors in these files. Please do not send the whole files!
Troubleshooting non-AS ABAP server issues:
For VirtualBox questions (ie if you don’t get as far as openSUSE):
Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, Getting Started
(For example, see chapter 6.3 : Creating a New Virtual Machine)
Also, check out the : Oracle VirtualBox Forum
For openSUSE :
If you are newish to Linux, and want to do one thing to get up to speed, I would suggest familiarity with XTerm. Fortunately, you can do this directly inside Xterm, by running the command vimtutor
I also found William Schotts’ guide helpful – and surprisingly readable:
The Linux Command Line
Also, check out the SAP on Linux forum: SAP Community SAP on Linux Forum
There is also a general (non-SAP) forum for openSUSE : openSUSE Forum
For SAP GUI:
SAP Community forum (new)