Data Acquisition from Non-SAP System into SAP BW/4 HANA
One of our star customers was doing the reporting on the SQL server, where the data was being fetched from various web pages through crawler and was getting stored in SQL.
The customer implemented next-generation EDW solution in their landscape where the requirement was to fetch the data from SQL and SAP S/4HANA to SAP BW/4HANA, to replace the existing reporting solution.
To ensure seamless data extraction from SQL and SAP S/4HANA into SAP BW/4HAHA, following are the points should be accomplished:
- Ensure installation of SAP BW/4HANA along with add-on components such as BW4CONT/ BW4CONTB and DW4CORE are completed
- Ensure to run the post installation steps of BW/4HANA using t-code STC01 with Task List: ‘SAP_BW4_SETUP_SIMPLE’
- Ensure to create a local HANA DB connection with the BW/4HANA system along with the correct schema name where the data is stored
- Ensure to create an ODP – SAP (extractor) to fetch the data from SAP S/4HANA standard data sources
- Ensure Object privileges are in place for required schema
- SQL (any DB)
- SAP BW/4HANA 1.0 SP06
- SAP S/4HANA 1709
- SAP Data Service 4.2
SOLUTION APPROACH WITH DIAGRAM
We pushed the data to SAP BW/4 HANA from SQL using SAP Data Services and realized that this approach was not feasible. So, the solution we found for this problem statement is mentioned below:
- Design jobs in Data Services which fetches the data from SQL and pushes the data in the respective schema of HANA database
- Consume the data in the SAP BW/4HANA using local HANA DB connection. This is the ONLY recommended solution from SAP till date
- The platform is expandable to handle IoT, social media, sensor data.Solution approach diagram
ADVANTAGE OF SAP BW/4HANA
Key advantages of next generation EDW i.e. SAP BW/4HANA are:
- Next generation Enterprise Data Warehousing solution which offers simplicity, openness, modern interface and high performance
- Simplified and enhanced modelling capability affords greater business agility
- BW/4 HANA has reduced number of objects from 10 to 4
- SAP BW/4HANA has a best-of-both world’s’ ability to construct an EDW either by using the highly- integrated Business Warehouse tools and editors, or a freestyle SQL approach
Mandar Gokhale: Solution Architect, Design Thinking Practitioner, Analytics Enthusiast with vast knowledge in Analytical space with 22 yrs. of over-all experience.
Ramdas Patil: SAP analytical consultant with vast knowledge of SAP ABAP, SAP BW, and SAP BW/4HANA with 12 years of experience.
Sumit Kumar: SAP Certified analytical consultant with vast knowledge of SAP BW, SAP BW/4HANA with 7 years of experience.