Step by Step with the SAP Cloud Platform SDK for Android — Part 2 — SAP Cloud Platform Mobile Services
Previous (Introduction) Home Next (Authentication)
In this section the Mobile Services feature will be enabled in a trial instance of the SAP Cloud Platform and an application will be configured. The configured application will be used for the application’s authentication, to enable log upload, to access the provided sample OData service and to provide an offline database.
The following are some additional sources of documentation on these topics.
SAP Cloud Platform Mobile Services
Enabling SAP Cloud Platform, Mobile Services
- Register for the Neo Trial account at SAP Cloud Platform Cockpit Trial by following the steps at Enable SAP Cloud Platform Mobile Services or at Enable Developer Accounts. Note the SAP Cloud Platform is available in two environments, Neo (hosted on SAP infrastructure) and Cloud Foundry (can be hosted by Amazon, Google or Microsoft). This tutorial will be using Mobile Services on Neo.
Note also that Mobile Services was previously named Development and Operations.
Configuring an App
The following steps demonstrate how to configure an application in the Mobile Services management cockpit. Specifically, the app will be configured to use basic authentication and will specify an OData URL that can provide the app with data.
- Click on the New button to add a new configuration for an app. Note that the trial account has a limit of five apps.
- Create a new app using the native template with the following id.
- Click on the + icon to add the Sample Back End feature which will provide the data for the application. This will add a mobile destination to the app under Connectivity, removing the warning on the Connectivity feature.
Select the Sample Back End feature.
The Sample OData service contains a UI where the data can be reset or additional purchase and sales orders can be generated.
Change the OData version to be V2. The Offline feature does not currently support V4.
Optionally, view the data directly in the browser with the Runtime Metadata URL using Chrome.For more details on OData see OData Version 2.0.
- Notice that under the Connectivity feature, a new destination has been added.
- Click on Security to configure it.
Change the Security Configuration to Basic.