SAP S/4HANA Upgrade and Product Integration Road Map – version 20Q2
Update on March 31, 2020: new version of the Roadmap “SAP S/4HANA Upgrade and Product Integration”
The SAP Activate implementation Roadmap Viewer is a tool used by the implementation project team members to navigate the phases, deliverables, tasks and accelerators related to the SAP Activate methodology.
The implementation roadmap is updated quarterly with a major release and throughout the quarter with minor releases to contain the latest scope, processes and accelerators.
The road map “SAP S/4HANA Upgrade and Product Integration” has been updated for 20Q2, including the following changes:
- Transition from SAP APO to PP/DS for SAP S/4HANA included
- The Road map is enhanced with a new scenario – the transition from SAP Advanced Planning and Optimization (SAP APO) to Production Planning and Detailed Scheduling (PP/DS) for SAP S/4HANA
- You can use the scenario filter functionality in the SAP Roadmap Viewer to display all activities which are necessary for an implementation of PPDS for SAP S/4HANA.
- All project plan templates are updated to cover PPDS for SAP S/4HANA (download button in the top right corner)
- Service Component Flows for all covered integration/upgrade scenarios:
You now find a recommended service component flow for the upgrade of SAP S/4HANA and for all included embedded products in the activity “Strategic Planning” (Discover phase):
Figure: recommended service component flow for the upgrade of SAP S/4HANA
- New accelerators:
- Best Practices Reference Guide
- Blog: PP/DS for SAP S/4HANA (Advanced Planning): A powerful planning and scheduling tool
- Blog: Probably one of the most detailed blogs on Production Planning and Detailed Scheduling (PP/DS) on S/4HANA
- Business Assessment for Supply Chain Management
- Business Scenario Recommendation Report
- SAP Note 2456834 – Transition Guide for SAP APO
- Simplification List: Production Planning and Detailed Scheduling for SAP S/4HANA
- Transition Assessment for SAP Transportation Management in SAP S/4HANA (CRM 50144207)
- SAP Note 2712349 – Best Practices for implementation of Production Planning and Detailed Scheduling for SAP S/4HANA 1709 and 1809
- SAP Note 2666947 – Restrictions and Implementation Recommendations for Production Planning and Detailed Scheduling for SAP S/4HANA
- SAP Education Consulting Services
- Training S4220E – Production Planning in SAP S/4HANA
- Training SCM250 – Production Planning in SAP APO
- Training TZSCM2 – Advanced Planning Methods in PPDS
- Training for SAP CRM in Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
Update on January 27, 2020: Upgrading SAP S/4HANA and Integrating new embedded Products – Version 20Q1
The SAP S/4HANA embedded product for customer management has been renamed to SAP S/4HANA Service. The roadmap has been revised accordingly, and we have added more information about SAP S/4HANA Service.
For every embedded product mentioned in the roadmap there is an “Architecture Point of View” (APoV) Service available. This is now explained in the “How SAP Can Support” sections.
Direct link to the road map:
Update on October 25, 2019: Upgrading SAP S/4HANA and Integrating new embedded Products – Version 19Q4
With the newest release cycle we have started to update the design of the road map graphics and adapt it to the official SAP color scheme:
Road map for technical Upgrade:
Road map for Upgrade with Product Integration:
For release 1909, the road map “SAP S/4HANA Upgrade and Product Integration” has been updated to cover the upgrade to SAP S/4HANA 1909. Coming from SAP S/4HANA 1709 FPS02 and higher or 1809 FOS01 and higher, a Zero Downtime Option (ZDO) is now available on project basis. This is described in the task “Evaluate Downtime Optimization Approaches” – find links to corresponding blogs and a TechEd session replay in the accelerator section.
Direct link to the road map:
Update on July 5, 2019: Upgrading SAP S/4HANA and Integrating new embedded Products
– Version 19Q3
The new version of the “SAP S/4HANA Upgrade and Product Integration” road map is online in the SAP Roadmap Viewer, showing the reorganized work stream layout which was developed in a work stream harmonization initiative from SAP Activate, harmonizing all on-premise and cloud road maps. As an effect of the reorganization, there has been some rearrangement of the activities in both the road map for technical upgrade as well as the one for product integration:
Technical Upgrade of SAP S/4HANA:
Integration of embedded Products:
There is a new feedback functionality in the SAP Roadmap Viewer – your feedback is very much appreciated!
NEW Webinar series on the road map “Transition to SAP S/4HANA” is currently running:
Part 1: Introduction to SAP S/4HANA Transition Road Maps
Part 2: Deep Dive into the SAP S/4HANA Transition Road Maps
Part 3: Transition to SAP S/4HANA: SAP’s Service Offerings
Part 4: Upgrade of SAP S/4HANA and integration of embedded products
Upgrading SAP S/4HANA and Integrating new embedded Products
New Scenario: Implementation of SAP S/4HANA for Customer Management
SAP Customer Relationship Management can be implemented as an embedded application component within SAP S/4HANA, known as SAP S/4HANA for Customer Management (as of SAP S/4HANA on-premise edition 1709 FSP01). This product integration is described in the new SAP S/4HANA Upgrade and Product Integration road map 19Q2.
For all scenarios, the information on supporting services from SAP Value Assurance and new MaxAttention has been updated. As usual, the offline version of the road map is available in the download area.
For deeper insights how to work with the road maps (SAP S/4HANA Upgrade and Product Integration, but also the SAP S/4HANA Transition Road Map), you may check the new webinar materials “on our Value Assurance JAM page:
Upgrading SAP S/4HANA and Integrating new embedded Products
New Scenario: Implementation of SAP Transportation Management (SAP TM) embedded in SAP S/4HANA
Since the introduction of SAP S/4HANA, SAP supports customers planning and running the implementation of SAP S/4HANA or the transition from ERP to SAP S/4HANA project with the Road Map “Transition to SAP S/4HANA”.
Having a great base of more than 2000 SAP customers where SAP S/4HANA On-Premise is already well established, SAP now also focusses on supporting those customers during their upgrade journey. The new road map “SAP S/4HANA Upgrade and Product Integration” provides an end-to-end documentation for customers upgrading their SAP S/4HANA On-Premise solution to the newest release.
With every new release of SAP S/4HANA, new features and functional enhancements are shipped to the customer which can be activated and configured. More than that, SAP offers additional products which can be integrated with SAP S/4HANA (that is: they can run embedded in SAP S/4HANA).
In the current road map SAP S/4HANA Upgrade and Product Integration release 19Q1, the following scenarios can be selected:
- Upgrade of SAP S/4HANA to release 1809 (with functional enhancements)
- Implementation of SAP Extended Warehouse Management (SAP EWM) embedded in SAP S/4HANA
- implementation of SAP Transportation Management (SAP TM) embedded in SAP S/4HANA
More transitions to embedded products will be covered in 19Q2/3, like the transition of SAP CRM to SAP S/4HANA Customer Management and SAP PPM.
The first road map picture illustrates the activities which may be required for a pure (technical) Upgrade of SAP S/4HANA. If the customer plans to implement features and functional enhancements which are shipped with every new release, a fit gap analysis and delta design have to be performed. Integration design and sizing adaption may also be recommended (light-coloured boxes).
For the implementation of a new embedded solution or the transition from a stand-alone to an SAP S/4HANA embedded solution, nearly all activities that were performed during the SAP S/4HANA implementation project potentionally need to be considered. It may be a good option to combine the implemention/transition with the upgrade to the new SAP S/4HANA release.
Access the SAP Roadmap Viewer and use the filter functionality to select the right scenario for your end-to-end project. You will find 2 road map ppts in the download area reflecting the different scenarios, which you may adapt to the project setup, and the project template as well as the offline version of the road map text.
Project File Templates
In the download area of the roadmap viewer, project file templates are available for Excel, MS Project and SAP Solution Manager. These templates have to be adapted to the project setup.
In the same download area, the roadmap text is offered as pdf for the single scenarios (SAP EWM, SAP TM, complete version) for easier offline reading.
New road map releases and a change log will be reported in this blog.
We look forward to your feedback to this blog using the comment feature below, or in the SAP Activate community on Jam.