Green, Brown or Other – What is your SAP S/4HANA Roadmap Colour Type ? Quick Quiz
One common question facing CIOs is should they Convert existing SAP ERP systems to S/4HANA (Brownfield) or use the change as an opportunity to start again with a New Implementation (Greenfield).
This 2 mins quiz will help you identify your SAP Roadmap Type based on 6 dimensions of your existing landscape (Data, Integrations, Versions, Modifications, Features and User Interface)
The Quiz Questions
- The structure, size and quality of data in our existing ECC system(s) support our current and future business model and reporting requirements
- The structure, size and quality of data in our existing ECC system(s) does not support our current or future business model and reporting requirement
- Our data is spread over a number of different ECC and ERP systems
- We don’t fully understand if our data does or doesn’t support our business model and reporting
- Our existing ECC system(s) is fully integrated in real-time with internal and external system using scalable middleware
- Our existing ECC system(s) has many file-based integrations that are based on a batch architecture
- Our ECC/ERP landscape is very complex with many different systems and integration patterns
- We don’t fully understand how our systems are integrated and what technologies are used
Versions / Landscape
- Our ECC system is kept up to date with patches and any 3rd party add-ons are supported in S/4HANA
- Our ECC system is not well maintained and 3rd party add-on are not supported in S/4HANA
- Our landscape is very complex with many different ECC versions and 3rd party ERP solutions
- We don’t fully understand our Versions / Landscape
- We understand all of the extensions that have been made in our ERP system and that they have been done using the latest ABAP standard / approaches
- We don’t fully understand our extensions / modifications and they have been done my many parties over many years
- We have built whole new modules / sub-modules / Industry solution inside our ECC system
- We don’t fully understand our Modifications
- All of the features we use in ECC are supported in S/4HANA and/or I fully understand the migration path of those that have been deprecated
- I use features in ECC which are not directly supported by S/4HANA and will need to be re-implemented for S/4HANA
- We have 3rd party add-ons which are key to our solution which are not supported by S/4HANA
- We don’t fully understand the features that we use in ECC
- Users of the current ECC system have developed UI muscle memory, don’t want to change the user interface and don’t need any mobile features
- The user interface is not well liked by the organisation and the drive for mobility is high
- We have developed a full custom user interface for ECC
- We don’t understand how a better user interface will help drive our business efficiency
Mostly 1’s – Good House Keeper : Your existing SAP ECC system is in good shape and could be a good candidate for a System Conversion (note this means that you can’t go to S/4HANA Cloud)
Mostly 2’s – Past Your Sell by Date : Your existing SAP ECC system has probably had its day. Trying to do a System Conversion would be very hard / impossible. Take this opportunity to implement using SAP Best Practice and lower TCO with S/4HANA Cloud.
Mostly 3’s – You Wouldn’t Start Here : Your landscape is complex and needs a good re-think – Greenfield is probably the way to go so you can take this opportunity to implement using SAP Best Practice and lower TCO with S/4HANA Cloud. You could see if you can find an existing ECC system that could be the “starter system” for a new generation (run this quiz for the donor systems to see if any are suitable for conversion) but this is unlikely.
Mostly 4’s – Back to School : Before you can plan the right path you need to understand a lot more about your current landscape or you could incur mega regret costs. You should commission a detailed SAP Roadmap as soon as possible.