Part 2: Simplify connectivity to third-party cloud applications with SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors
SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors simplifies and accelerates connectivity to third-party cloud applications. It provides robust, feature rich, prebuilt connectors to an extensible library of over 160 of the most popular third-party cloud applications.
In Enable SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors in trial blog, steps to enable SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors for trial purposes was covered. In this blog, we capture the simplified connectivity to a third-party cloud applications via pre-built connectors.
Pre-built Connectors offer a preconfigured means of smooth, comprehensive integration through harmonized representational state transfer (REST) APIs and universal resource identifiers (URIs) with normalized authentication, error handling, search, pagination, and bulk support regardless of the underlying architecture of the third-party applications. To consume the pre-built connectors, you would have tp simply select any of the available connectors from our Connectors Catalog, connect to your third-party application tenant and authenticate using your third-party credentials.
Note:- In this blog, we have used a third-party application from the CRM hubs which is Hubspot. You are free to use any other third-party application of your choice for this exercise
Test or Sandbox tenant in HubSpot or any other third-party application that you would like to connect to from SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors.
Integration or API Key to access HubSpot
The HubSpot connectors requires an APIKey or also known as Integration key to connect securely from SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors. In this section, the steps to get the integration key from HubSpot tenant has been captured
Note:- The authentication approach may vary based on your third-party CRM application. More information on authentication to API Providers is available in help documentations
- Logon to your HubSpot tenant
- Click on the Setting icon and then click on Integration
- Click on the Your Integration tab, select API Key and then click on Show Key. This would reveal the API Key that can be used to connect securely from SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors
- Click on Copy button to be copy the API Key that can be used from SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors
Connect to Third-party application from SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors
In this section, steps to seamlessly and securely connect to the third-party cloud applications via SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors has been covered. SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors is available for test, explore and try out in SAP Cloud Platform trial. If you have not enabled SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors in your trial tenant, refer this blog to enable it.
- Logon to your SAP Cloud Platform trial and Navigate to the Neo Environment.
- From the services tab, search and select Open Connectors tile and click on the Go to Service link.
- You would be navigated to SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors Home or Landing page.
- Click on the Connectors tab to view all the available pre-built, feature rich connectors.
- In the search bar, type in CRM to view all connectors for third-party CRM hub. In this exercise, since HubSpot is used and therefore select the HubSpot CRM connectors. You can also explore and try out third-party connectors of your choice from the available connectors catalog.
- Hover over the HubSpot CRM and select the option Authenticate to connect to your own HubSpot tenant.
- You would be navigated to the Create Authenticated Connector page, enter a name for your authenticated connector say myhubspot. Select apikey from the Authentication Type drop down. Then click on the Show Optional Field to enter your HubSpot API key
Note:- Based on your selected third-party application connector, the configuration options in this screen may vary.
- Enter your HubSpot API Key and then click on Create Instance. This will now create an authenticated connector instance to your own HubSpot tenant.
Note:- In case you have selected an OAuth authentication based flow, then on click of Create Instance button you would be re-directed to your third-party OAuth token provider for an OAuth authorization code flow.
- After the authenticated connection to your third-party application has been created successfully you would be able to test out the connection from SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors. To try out the RESTFul APIs for the specific third-party application, click on the option Test in the API Docs.
- This would launch the integrated OpenAPI specification based API Documentation for your third-party applications so that you can test and try out the connectors from SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors.
- Select any of the available Resources say accounts and click on Try it Out to test the connectivity to third-party applications and then click on the Execute Button
- This would show the CURL command with the harmonized RESTFul URIs to your third-party application and the normalized authentication token which can be used to securely and seamless connect to your third-party application.
The harmonized URIs and authentication headers can be used to connect securely to your third-party application via SAP Cloud Platform from any application that supports connecting to an HTTP endpoints. In the next part of this blog series, steps to connect to third-party connectors from a Fiori application would be showcased.
More information about Pre-built connectors features like normalized search, pagination, bulk, eventing is available in help documentations
To know more about SAP Cloud Platform Open Connectors visit us at SAP Community