SAP language translation activity is the simplest form of application development yet can be time consuming if the correct approach is not adopted.
The intent of this blog is to help application developers to adopt the below strategy to translate customer specific developments into any localised language for printing.
The most important aspect that any developer should not neglect while performing the language translation activity is:
- Use of Correct font for printing
(Example – CNHEI, CNSONG for Chinese, JPMINCHO for Japanese language, etc.)
- Use of Correct device type and printer
However, the big question is, how do you really identify the correct font and device type that should be used?
The answer might be easy to Google and identify the appropriate font for the specified language, but it doesn’t guarantee whether your development will print in the localised language as expected.
To address this, the below strategy can be adopted and will help you to ensure that your development is always printed in any local language and without any junk characters.
Business Scenario – To translate PO form from English to Chinese language (ZH).
1. The very first step is to prepare a language translation template to collate the localised language (Chinese (ZH) in this case) from the business user.
2. The next step is to identify the correct font that should be used for the Purchase Order form.
- For this, open any standard SAP form in Chinese language (ZH) and identify the fonts (CNHEI in this case) used by SAP.
- Leverage the same for your Purchase Order form
3. In this step, Identify the correct device type that supports the font (CNHEI) identified in step 2.
- For this, refer to custom table TFO03 and specify the font CNHEI identified in step 2. This will provide the correct device type that should be used to print this font.
4. Finally, Identify the printer that is linked to the device type identified in step 3.
- For this, refer to custom table TSP03 and specify the device type CNHPLJ4 identified in step 3. This will help you identify the correct printer that should be considered for printing.
- Printer identified to support Chinese printing.
I hope this helps to improve your productivity while working on language translations.