In this article we will be covering an overview of the ODP data-sources along with the extraction performance improvements and benefits of ODP.
Operational Data Provisioning (ODP) provides a technical infrastructure that we can use to support two different application scenarios:-
1. The first of these is Operational Analytics for decision making in operative business processes.
2. The other is data extraction and replication.
Please note, this article primarily targets the “Data Extraction and Replication” use case for Operational Data Provisioning (ODP).
The following are the main benefits:
- Can load the data directly into the BW InfoProviders, bypassing the Persistent Staging Area (PSA) layer by using a Data Transfer Processes (DTP)
- The ODP infrastructure (with delta queues) takes over important services such as monitoring data requests.
- The data is stored in a compressed state in the delta queue. A delta request transfers data records from the queue to the subscriber (target system).
- The data changes to a queue can also be requested by more than one subscriber (target system).
- The data is retained in the delta queue for a specified time for recovery purposes.
The pre-requisites to use ODP for data transfer are
- Recommended starting release with BW 7.40 SP5 and supported for all databases.
Operational data provisioning supports extraction and replication scenarios for various target applications and supports delta mechanisms in these scenarios. Besides SAP BW/4HANA and SAP BW, Operational Data Provisioning can be used to provide data to other SAP Products such as SAP Data Services or SAP HANA Smart Data Integration. The following are possible source and target systems for ODP datasources:
- Data transfer from SAP Datasources (Extractors)
- Data transfer from ABAP CDS Views
- Data transfer from SAP BW or SAP BW/4HANA systems
- Real-time replication of Tables and DB-Views from SAP Source System via SAP SLT
- Data transfer SAP HANA Information Views in SAP ABAP based Sources
- Data transfer to SAP BW or SAP BW/4HANA
- Data transfer to SAP Data-Services
- Data transfer to the “ABAP Adapter” in SAP HANA Smart Data Integration (SDI)The following are general points for ODP’s
- Most Business Content Data-Source (Extractors) can easily get released for Operational Data Provisioning.
- Since SAP BW >= 7.4, ODP is the strategic relevant source system connection to SAP Sources and with SAP BW/4HANA, only ODP source systems are available.
- ODP doesn’t change the implementation of application extractors, all the features and capabilities are the same.
- Consumption of generic Data-Sources created in SAP ABAP Systems in transaction RSO2 is possible in SAP BW/4HANA using the ODP-SAP source system connection type.
- ODP can be deployed in parallel with the traditional delta queue approach but it will multiply the data.
Performance Testing :-
All the below extractions for both 7.x and ODP Data-sources was based off full loads (except for the 2.6 million extraction on 7.x DS in production).
- Prototype – 25% performance improvement (982k records – 675 seconds (0FI_GL_14 ODP) / 909 seconds (0FI_GL_14 7.x DS)).
- Development – 18% performance improvement (1.6 million records – 1263 seconds (0FI_GL_14 ODP) / 1533 seconds (0FI_GL_14 7.x DS)).
- Quality system – 40% performance improvement (511k records – 753 seconds (0FI_GL_14 ODP) / 1251 seconds (0FI_GL_14 7.x DS)).
- Production – 39% performance improvement (2.6 million records – 61 mins (0FI_GL_14 ODP) / 100 mins (0FI_GL_14 7.x DS)).
After deploying the ODP datasource to PRD, we executed the delta DTP off this ODP datasource with No Data Transfer; Delta Status in Source: Fetched (Delta Init). We then done two delta extractions and the following are the performance benefits:
- Production – 86% performance improvement (5.2 million records – 28 mins (0FI_GL_14 ODP) / 2.6 million records – 100 mins (0FI_GL_14 7.x DS)).
- Production – 74% performance improvement (1.3 million records – 13 mins (0FI_GL_14 ODP) / 2.6 million records – 100 mins (0FI_GL_14 7.x DS)).The performance benefit of a delta execution of the 0FI_GL_14 ODP is from 74% to 86%. This increase in performance compared to a full data extraction on the same ODP datasource is due to the extraction not have to read the underlying tables (BSEG/BKPF).Conclusion Useful ODP SAP Notes.
- ODP functionality brings many benefits – bypassing the Persistent Staging Area(PSA), data changes requested by more than one subscriber, compression of the data and data retained in the delta queue for recovery purposes. Along with this there is a substantial performance benefit.
- SAP lab results have shown a reduction in runtime by more than 40% for an ODP datasource compared to a 7.x datasource. From the delta tests that we’ve executed in production system we’ve evidence that the benefit is much greater than this – 74% to 86%. Also, it’s important to note that 7.x datasource are not supported on BW/4HANA, only ODP source systems are available. There is a BW/4HANA Transfer Tool (transaction RSB4HTRF) available that will automatically copy your 7.x DataSource to a corresponding ODP datasource.
Steps To expose existing Logistic datasources to ODP :
BW Version : BW 7.4 SP-5
Source : S4/HANA 1610
Deploy the required data source through RSA5 and activate in RSA6.
Setup table and extract structure is active in the system.
Will get the below error message while using the T-code OLI7BW
Here we are observing, no data have been filed into he Setup table. We can also check the same if we check with the T-code-RSA3
Correction Steps :
- Check in the table –TMCXACT ,if there is any line-item for the daasurce we was trying to fill.
2: Check in the below table-TMCEXUPD whether the corresponding application component has entry. Here in our example the application component is 11.
3 : Maintain the entries w.r.t. the required data source in the below table-TMCEXACT through T-code SE16N.
Fields- ISGEN & UPDAT as X
4: Maintain the entries w.r.t. required application component in the below table-TMCEXUPD through SE16N.
Update Mode-0 (Serialize V3 update )
5: Now the trigger the job to fill the setup table through T-code OLI7BW. Once the job is completed now extract the data through RSA3.
6: Establish the source system connection between the BW system and S/4 HANA .
Right click and replicate the required application component or use T-code RSDS to replicate the data source in BW system.
BW Extractors in SAP S/4HANA : https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2500202
Important Notes :
- 2232584 – Release of SAP extractors for ODP replication (ODP SAPI)
- 2407906 – Additional information about SAP extractors released to operational data provisioning (ODP)
- 2368268 – Export DataSources not exposed to ODP
- 2433354 – Missing Business Content DataSources or Transformations when using ODP framework
- 2500202 – S4TWL – BW Extractors in SAP S/4HANA
- 2481315 – Operational Data Provisioning (ODP): Extracting from SAP Systems to SAP BW or SAP BW/4HANA
- 2480284 – BW4SL – Hierarchy DataSources
- 2464541 – BW4SL – Data Transfer Processes
- 2300483 – ODQ fetch performance ODQDATA_V
- When client is migrating from existing ECC/suite on HANA to S4/HANA make sure for all the existing LO active data sources configuration mappings are done as mentioned in the new S4/HANA source system.
- Run multiple test runs for delta extraction to ensure the extraction accuracy.
- Decide which mode of extraction (ODP/typical) approach you are going to implement. SAP is recommending to use ODP mode for extraction to be in-line with SAP roadmap.
- Don’t maintain both the mode of extractions for same extractors.