Use Bounce Reporting in SAP Marketing Cloud to Improve the Quality of Communication with your Contacts
An Email Campaign with a high Bounce Rate is a good indicator that the quality of communication via the email-address of contacts must be improved. With SAP Marketing Analytics it is already possible to figure out the affected contacts, which could not be reached via an email due to
- Hard Bounces (i.e. invalid email-addresses or email recipient server blocked)
- Soft Bounces (blocked or offline recipient mail-server, full mail-box of recipient)
- EMail Complaints (aka SPAM or JUNK mails)
This can be achieved for an individual campaign as well as cross email campaigns.
Via file download of the proper reporting result one can trigger a data cleansing in the source system of the contact data, for example SAP Sales and Service solutions, which are integrated with SAP Marketing Cloud.
To do so, Business User can open the SAP Analytics Cloud Story “Campaign Success for Email” (SAP__CEC_MKT_CPG_EMAIL) from the Analytics and Report Gallery. It provides a dedicated story page “Bounce Reporting”, showing the bounces per campaign and the corresponding bounce code (currently shown as “Bus Document Status and Business Document Status Code), as well as the invalid Email Address as External Contact ID.
Using the File-Download functionality in SAP Analytics Cloud, one can extract the invalid contact data, which are given in the attribute “External Contact ID”.
As an alternative Business User can use also the Operational Report “Campaign Success for Messages”, available as CDS Consumption View in the Analytics and Report Gallery of SAP Marketing Cloud. After opening this CDS Query in the design studio, one should define
- a proper selection time frame using the prompts
- the relevant measure Hard Bounces, Soft Bounces, Email Complaint for the table view
- filter for the interaction types EMAIL_BOUNCE_HARD, EMAIL_BOUNCE_SOFT, EMAIL_COMPLAINT, EMAIL_OUTBOUND
- the drill down dimensions email-address, external contact ID
- if desired, also campaign name / ID in the drill down
After saving this view as a variant, one can open this “Bounce Report” by default from the Analytics and Reporting Gallery.
The Excel-Download functionality of the design studio can be used to extract the invalid contact data.
In addition the Marketing User can place a tile on the Fiori LP
for example into the Group “Quick Launch” of SAP Marketing Cloud