Analytics Path Framework (APF) | Part 1 : Introduction, Behavior and Interactions
We will be studying about Analytics path framework Introduction, Behavior and Interactions.
Analysis Path Framework (APF) is a tool to easily build and enhance interactive analytical Fiori applications. APF-based apps enable business users to dig into data iteratively by building up analysis paths containing a sequence of analysis steps. Selections made within a step of an analysis path take effect in all subsequent analysis steps.
- APF is designed for Data driven, Chart based, multi-dimensional drill-down analysis.
- Both runtime and design time of APF comes as intuitive and easy-to-use SAP Fiori applications for business use.
- APF can be launched from different sources, for example from a Smart business application KPI tile for further drill-down.
- APF Allows context-sensitive navigation to other application.
- APF is build-in analytics in SAP Business Suite on HANA and SAP S/4 HANA and does not require additional licensing.
The following products are required:
- SAP Smart Business foundation component 1.0 (SAP ANALYTICS FOUNDATION 1.0)
- The following software component versions that are relevant for APF are included in this product and installed automatically:
- HANA CONTENT HBA APF CORE 100 (technical name: HCO_HBA_R_APF_CORE)
- UISAFND1 100 SP01 (technical name: UISAFND1).
- SAP HANA appliance software SPS08 or higher.
Note :This product is also included in all SAP Smart Business products.
APF-Related Applications :
The following APF-related applications are available:
- Configured APF-Based Applications:A number of APF-based applications are available that are already configured and ready to be used.APF-based applications consist of a BSP application along with an application configuration file in JSON format. This application configuration file refers to the analytical content configuration file, also in JSON format. If you want to run an APF-based application without making any changes to it, the configuration can be read directly from the JSON files.
- APF Configuration Modeler App:You can use the APF Configuration Modeler app to configure your own application or to enhance an existing one. A configuration that was created or enhanced using the APF Configuration Modeler is stored in a table. Each configuration has its own table entry with its own ID. At runtime, the configuration is read from the table, that is, JSON files are not used in this scenario.
- Generic APF Runtime Application :The generic APF runtime application can be used to execute APF configurations that have been created with the APF Configuration Modeler.
Please check Help Document provided by SAP for detailed description.
Behavior and Interactions:
We are going to explore below features of Analytical Path Framework applications.
- UI Overview.
- Creating Analysis Path.
- Further Option.
You can see the APF Demo application in SAPUI5 Demo Kit.
1. UI Overview
Below picture shows the main UI areas of an application which is based on analysis path framework.
- Mark 1 shows the facet filters which you can use to apply multiple filters to all analysis steps.These filter are configured for each individual application. They can be reset using reset button.
- Mark 2 shows the footer tool bar in bottom of the screen, it contains general application settings like reporting currency, exchange rate setting.These can also differ from app to app.
- Mark 3 shows Drop down menu next to analysis path name, provides the option to create,save,delete,print an analysis path.
- In Mark 4 area, The analysis path displays the thumbnails of all analysis steps for current analysis. Here you can create, delete, change sequence of the steps and select the step which you want to look at.
- Mark 5 shoes the data of current step of analysis path. Here you can select and filter relevant data for further analysis.
- Mark 6 allows you to go full screen.
- From Mark 7 area you can choose some other visualization alternatives. Like chart type or table view.
2. Creating Analysis Path
Now we will learn how to create analysis path in an application which is based on analysis path framework.
- First make the settings using the facet filters.
- Press on add analysis path button, This takes you to analysis step gallery which is grouped according to categories.
- Pick a category to display the available analysis steps for this category.
- Select an analysis step to display the chart type available for the analysis step. Select the Chart type you want to start analysis with.
- You can create more analysis path using above steps.When you choose some relevant information in one analysis path, It automatically updates the the other analysis path as well according to selected information.
3. Further Options
- Open the drop down menu next to the analysis path, to see the available options.
- You can select Open to see the analysis path gallery where you can find all saved analysis paths.
- Choose one of the analysis path to see the steps used for this analysis path. Here you can choose the step you want to start with.
- When you open a saved analysis path system reload all analysis steps, so that you can see up to date data in the analysis.
- You can save your analysis path with options save and save as.Path is always saved including the selections you made to filter the data.
- Saving is user and client specific.
- Using Delete option in the menu takes you to list of all saved analysis path. Here you can delete individual path.
- Print option allows you to share analysis path with others. For example by printing the entire analysis path or creating a PDF.