Last February we announced a revision to the SAP PartnerEdge – Build engagement model, designed to help independent software vendors (ISVs) build better applications. We combined our ISV, Open Ecosystem, and Startup partners into one single program. Today, we are announcing improvements to SAP PartnerEdge Open Ecosystem – Build. With this update, we make it easier for ISVs, large and small, to start exploring SAP technologies for application development. Being responsible for this program since January this year, I am excited to tell you about the changes we made. I hope you like them!
As you may know, ‘open ecosystem’ is the entry level of SAP PartnerEdge, SAP’s partnership program. ‘Build’ is the engagement model targeted at ISVs who extend SAP solutions, develop applications from scratch or embed SAP technology in their own solutions. When you first want to explore before committing to a partnership, the build specialization for open ecosystem is the right place to start.
While the name of the program is hard, the program itself is easy! Apply for membership with no strings attached. Get access to development software, tools and training to decide if SAP technology fits your business goals. Simply apply for the full partner program when you’re ready to take your application to market, or when you prefer getting support from a named SAP partner service advisor.
Let me briefly summarize the main characteristics of Open Ecosystem – Build:
- No program fees
- Freedom to explore and build at your own pace
- Access to a wide portfolio of test, demo & development licensing services to build innovative business solutions for your customers
- Access to enablement assets, tools and resources like blueprints, learning journeys, code samples, tutorials and videos
- Access to partner and developer communities to connect with peers and SAP experts for finding answers to your questions
Open Ecosystem – Build is a self-service program offering. Members have 24/7 access to tools and resources to explore technology and build applications.
With the new offering, you will have access to a much broader portfolio of SAP technology. Rather than the two Exploration Packs we offered in the old program release (one for SAP HANA and databases, one for Business Intelligence), members of the open ecosystem with the ‘build’ specialization will now have access to the full portfolio of test, demo & development licenses offered by Partner Licensing Services – just like full partners.
Other improvements include the removal of any time restriction, a better user experience and navigation of the SAP PartnerEdge portal, and a simplified legal agreement facilitating a smoother upgrade to the full partner program.
Last but not least, we also created a dedicated SAP Partner Community topic page on SAP Community to easily find partner-related blogs and content, and Collaboration Learning Room to engage with peers and get answers to program-related questions.
Compared to SAP PartnerEdge – Build
You may wonder: what do Open Ecosystem – Build members miss out on compared to full partners in SAP PartnerEdge – Build? On a high level, these are the differences between the two program levels:
- Open Ecosystem – Build is a self-service offering. Full partners get support from a named SAP Partner Service Advisor (PSA) for assistance during their Build journey and have additional enablement options available such as live SAP webinars.
- Go-to-Market support is excluded. Only full partners can commercialize their solution. Open ecosystem members have to join the SAP PartnerEdge – Build program when they want to market and sell their solution. Only then they will be able to list their app on SAP App Center, use the SAP partner logo and buy runtime licenses – to name a few benefits.
- Members of the Open Ecosystem – Build specialization do not have to pay an annual program fee
A more detailed comparison between the benefits for partners of SAP PartnerEdge – Build and members of the open ecosystem can be found here.
If you want to read more about building applications and partnering with SAP, please visit the SAP PartnerEdge – Build pages. Here you can also apply to become a member of Open Ecosystem – Build. We welcome companies of any size, and look forward to receiving your application!