SAP OEE (MII) customization approach for KPI’s calculation
SAP OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness Management) is manufacturing solution to visualize, analyze and measure the KPI’s in both real-time and historical data based on SAP connected manufacturing landscape consisting of SAP OEE (add-on), SAP MII (Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence), HANA & SAP PCo (Plant connector). This document describes the methodology to have custom calculation for all the Key performance Indicators (KPIs) in SAP OEE . Using this approach the scope is to have KPI values displayed in WorkerUI dashboard of SAP MII and not replicated in HANA.
SAP OEE has inbuilt KPIs of Availablity, Performance, Quality and OEE, though SAP OEE can be easily configured for additional KPIs which can be interfaced with SAP ERP, however we will keep the scope to calculate the custom logic for these KPIs.
Most of requirements during implementation of SAP OEE, the Key Performance Indicators for the Machines/Lines have it’s own database with data values and need is to use these data values to be displayed in SAP OEE dashboards. Another business requirement is use plant /line specific calculation of KPIs especially OEE, Quality, Performance with data churing and standard calculation of these KPIs are required to be over-ridden.
The step to achieve the custom calculation or to override the standard calculation of KPI’s values being displayed in standard reports of SAP OEE (MII) are described as below steps
- Development of Business Logic Service (Transactions in SAP MII) for each Machines/Lines (Each level of drill down). This step requires detail design of solution and it takes most effort in terms of customization. The key aspect is to develop logic for each level of machines/lines to connect to databases and perform business logic to have new computed KPI values for given date/time shift.
Using the SAP MII workbench
- Create an Transaction within Project
- Add the Transaction properties
- XMLInputString data type: xml (This contains the shift & day-time information to be used for business logic of computing the values)
- XMLModifiedOutputString data type: xml
- XMLOutputString data type: XML
- MachineName: data type: String (Fixed value to simplify the creation of activity)
- Plant: data type String (Fixed value to simplify the creation of activity
Below show the mandatory transaction parameters required for SAP OEE activities.
- Using Action block, compute the logic to compute the KPI values of Availability, Quality, OEE, Performance for the input shift & date-time
- Assign these values in the XMLOutputString & XMLModifiedOutputString using the action block (assignment operators)
Sample partial output of XMLModifiedOutputString is as below:
<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”UTF-8″?><ns2:OutputKPIService xmlns:ns2=”com.sap.xapps.oee.dto.kpiservices”>
2. Configure the Activity in SAP OEE (‘Activity Configuration’)
- Create one activity for each transaction at the drill down level to create mapping between activity & transaction along with Machine/Line at which KPI’s needs to be created.
- Class or URL: Path of transaction with transaction name
Activity type: transaction
At the end of this step for each machine and line there would be one activity created.
- Configuring the Extension in General Configuration for Plant hierarchy (‘Extending the configuration’
- Once the activities have been created in SAP OEE, these needs to configured in “general configuration” and mapping for Activity is performed with corresponding drill-down Plant hierarchy elements for the standard OEE dashboard activity:
- Select the machine/line, and on ‘Extension Configuration’ tab, add the method ‘Get OEE KPIs’.
Select the Activity created in Step 2 for corresponding Machine, this will ensure the calculation of KPI’s are performed to selected plant hierarchy elements.
Now load the WorkerUI with activity containing the KPI’s values and note the values of KPI being computed by custom transaction to test the results.