With 7.5 release, SAP introduced AMDP functions alongside AMDP procedures.
This is how it works-
- Naming convention- AMDP stands for ABAP managed database procedure. So, what is AMDP procedure? AM procedure procedure. What is AMDP function? AM Procedure function 😊
- AMDP functions are implemented in ABAP global class as a method. So, can you call it from other ABAP methods or programs? Answer is No. AMDP functions cannot consumed by ABAP directly.
- AMDP functions can be consumed via CDS table functions
- CDS table functions are implemented using AMDP functions
- CDS table functions can be consumed by CDS Views
- CDS table functions can be consumed by ABAP
- How to create this? First create DDL source for -CDS Table function leaving IMPLEMENTED BY section. Now create AMDP function. Now come back to CDS table function and complete IMPLEMENTED BY section. You have to follow this order.
- One more thing- CDS Views are supported on all databases but CDS table functions are supported only HANA.
Note: By the way i am really happy with CDS Views and their integration with ABAP, Fiori, Analytics..Great Job SAP 🙂