Extend a web application to a mobile solution as a micro app in less than an hour (with SAP Mobile Cards)
Allowing employees to mobilize content from existing web solutions can be a first step into the digital transformation.
An example use case could be that a sales manager (George) wants to have details about certain products available on his mobile device. The data should be available offline and always up to date to allow for better interactions with his customers.
With SAP Mobile Cards you can build such a solution in only one hour.
Following the top down design approach, the next step is to clarify exactly what data George wants to see on his device. The details on what is needed to show the cards is explained in the previous blog.
In addition to this, the web application needs to be enabled to push data to the SAP Mobile Cards application.
After the design of the card (as described in the previous blog) is completed, the developer can start implementing the function to change the status.
The developer, Bruce, enables an existing web application in the SAP Web IDE to send cards by implementing a rest call.
Essentially, such a rest call needs to consist of three parts:
- First, the user who is supposed to get the content as a card
- Second, the template which is used to render the content on the mobile device
- Third, information for the url where the content can be fetched. This is important in the enterprise as authorizations are important. So only the users who have access to see certain data will also be able to see the content inside the SAP Mobile Cards application.
One assumption is that the products shown in the web page are available as an OData feed to the mobile services.
Once Bruce has finished the development, the solution will be available for George right away. As George is already connected with his SAP Mobile Cards application, he only needs to open the web page Bruce enhanced and start sending cards from there.
Once George selects a product and sends it as a new card it will show on his device. George will have all of the products whe he selects to mobilize on his mobile device. As the application updates automatically, all products on the mobile device will always be up to date.
Interested in building this solution yourself in less than an hour on your SAP Cloud Platform trial account?
Follow the following three tutorials to get started:
- Setup SAP Mobile Cards Kit
- Basic Tutorial for SAP Mobile Cards Kit
- IntermediateTutorial: Create cards from any Web Application
More information on SAP Mobile Cards can be found at: