Discover the power of SAP S/4HANA with your team playing an interactive game online
Last Updated: June 18, 2020
Request Your Free S/4HANA Virtual Game Workshop here LINK
Welcome to our SAP S/4HANA Board Game, virtual version release blog.
We would like to begin our virtual game blog by first expressing our gratitude to all our SAP customers, partners and internal teams who played the original physical version of the game, ran design-thinking based in-person game workshops and shared your successful outcomes and interesting experiences with us.
To make sure you can continue using this game based S/4HANA discovery with your customers, we are glad to announce the launch of our “SAP S/4HANA Board Game, Virtual Version”
Game Outputs – Customer S/4HANA Innovation Map (Roadmap)
Game Outputs – Customer S/4HANA Value Map (Business Case Simulation)
Game Outputs – Player Score Board (Customer Engagement Tracker)
Game Outputs – Persona-based Virtual White Board
Game Outputs – Customer S/4HANA Maturity Charts
Background why we created this approach for our customers & partners:
In traditional approach, customers are bored to death by powerpoint & have a very short attention span, losing interest in presentation after the first 5 minutes & absorb not more than 25 % of information presented in the session. There is no tangible take-always for the customer.
Questions to ask yourself?
- Are your customers struggling to grasp all the different innovations in S/4 and how it applies to their business?
- Are you interested in a new and engaging way to convey the value of S/4 to your customers?
- Are you and your customers suffering from powerpoint fatigue?
- net-new (Traditional/ECC customers looking to move to S/4HANA)
- existing S/4HANA customers (who want to learn about latest S/4HANA innovations/release & build their roadmap)
- Field XME Vas, Presales, Sales, CEEs (internal enablement)
When to play the game:
- Net New customers – During the initial discovery phase in deal cycle (stage D) – after the lead is converted into a S/4HANA opportunity and before the customer jumps into solutioning phase. Executive buy in -> LoB Passover !
- Existing customers – On every new S/4HANA release for continuous learning or on demand basis when they want to update their S/4HANA roadmap
- Partners & field enablement – On demand continous learning cycle & new releases
Duration of Cards Game: 60 – 90 Mins/LoB. The game can be played in parallel for each LoB in different rooms with respective LoB teams (Finance, Procurement, Sales etc)
S/4HANA Procurement Physical Game Kit
S/4HANA Board Game (Physical) launched at SAPPHIRE 2019 in Orlando USA
S/4HANA Board Game In-Person Workshop in Singapore, 2019
Cards Game Components:
The Game has 2 main components: Game Boards & Game Cards.
- Game Boards: Each of the line of business has its own Game Board for example Finance game board, Procurement game board, Manufacturing, Sales & so on…. (few photos below)
2. Game Cards – There are 2 types of cards: ‘Capability’ & ‘Value’ Cards.
Capability Cards – which contains solution capability related information as shown below. Also, contains a QR code to the demo of the capability.
Value Cards – Contains business value related information of the respective capability as shown below.
Game Process – How to Play the Game:
1.Shuffle & distribute the cards
2.Roll the dice, move the pawn & land on a capability
3.Identify card owners of capability
4.The owners read out the capability & value information to the team
5.Team discusses business relevancy, value drivers, implementation time line & owner (optional) for this capability.
6.Tag the capability accordingly on the Game Board & Innovation map
7.Tag the value drivers on Value Map
8.Repeat steps 2-7 until entire Game Board is tagged accordingly
9.Build your S/4HANA Value Calculator Biz Case
10.Review game outcomes Innovation Map. Value Map & Value Calculator Biz Case with leadership
Actual Customer Pilot Output Shown below: Current + Rolling 3 Qtr Customer Roadmap
As you can see below, on the left side, the customer has built a Current + 3 Rolling Quarter Roadmap for himself where each & every scope item item in the future has a team member assigned as its owner. On the right side, they also have identified the ‘Not Relevant’ scope items.
I have translated the above table into a simpler tabular format for your easier understanding.
- Items highlighted in Yellow were completely new to the customer & the customer is now having weekly review of these results and engaging with SAP to implement few of these innovations which are relevant to their business.
- The Head of Procurement gave the feedback that “The Cards game approach was fun & engaging. They got 100% team participation & the entire team stayed till the end. They uncovered a lot of new scope items & have identified the new scope items they want to implement. This saved them atleast 2 weeks of time & now they have a clear roadmap on what they want to focus on. They would love the play the game for the new scope items in the next release”.
Key take-aways for customers, partners & field:
- Enablement on S/4HANA solution capabilities, innovation by Lines of Business (LoB) & business areas
- Learn the delta / incremental value & capabilities offered by S/4HANA over traditional systems like ECC
- Value discovery (explore value drivers and value levers with rationale at a solution capability level)
- Operational roadmap (create tangible outputs while you learn by creating your operational roadmap with identification of relevant capabilities, value drivers, time line & owner for your roadmap)
- Highlight the S/4HANA + integrations wherever available and additionally priced commercial information
- Call out the top S/4HANA innovations/differentiators (New/Enhanced in S/4HANA vs ECC)
- Map the capabilities on a maturity scale based on the features of Intelligent ERP
Physical Game Cards Print Instructions: After download, please use following instructions to print the game cards
- Please print double-sided color copies of attached PDF on 100 pt glossy cardstock paper.
- Trim to crop marks and cut into quarters.
- Finished product to equal 3.75″ wide by 5″ high full bleed cards.
- 4 cards per sheet.
Game Related S/4HANA Content we recommend for you:
- If you don’t have time to play the Game but would like to understand & discover the S/4HANA innovative capabilities by different personas, check out the content in our S/4HANA Customer Value Jam page LINK
- If you want to dig a bit deeper and understand how you start on this S/4HANA Journey? What are your decision points & most importantly Why? We present you the S/4HANA Adoption Guide from actual S/4HANA Customers examples LINK
The game is a result of the close partnership with multiple SAP teams who have supported us behind the scenes to build the foundational content required to create this game. Thank you all for your support, guidance, and encouragement.
- SAP S/4HANA Solution Management
- SAP Global Industry & Value Advisory (IVA)
- SAP Graphics & Marketing
- SAP ISM Team Please let us know if you have any questions/clarifications.
Play & Enjoy the Game with your team. Discover the power of SAP S/4HANA & its possibilities with your Customers & Partners.
Spread the word & show us some LOVE !