What’s New in SAP Analytics Cloud and SAP Digital Boardroom Release 2018.07
This blog covers some of the latest new features and enhancements in SAP Analytics Cloud and SAP Digital Boardroom release 2018.07. Please note that the Analytics Cloud Help documentation is updated at the same time as the upgrade to this release, so the links here may not yet reflect what is described below until after the upgrade is complete.
SAP Analytics Cloud agent version required for data acquisition with this release:
- Version 1.0.85 for SAP Business Warehouse (BW)
- Version 1.0.99 for SAP ERP / SQL databases
- Version 1.0.91 for SAP Universe (UNX)
- Version 1.0.75 for all other data source types
- Note: Although it is not required, you can upgrade to the new agent version 1.0.99, no matter what data acquisition type you use. Do this to take advantage of updates made to SAP Analytics Cloud agent.
For more information, see System Requirements and Technical Prerequisites.
Highlights of this release:
- Planning: In-grid calculations
- Planning: Improved cell formatting on grid pages
- Planning: Cell reference enhancements
- Planning: Input task enhancements
- Planning: Version management panel improvements
- Planning: Planning operation improvements
- Data Integration: Data source tab for public dimensions
- Data Integration: SAP BPC improvements
- Predictive: Complex multi-dimensional filtering with R visualizations
- Digital Boardroom: Auto refresh option
- Integration & OEM: Universal display hierarchy
- Integration & OEM: Support for two structures in a BW Bex query
- Mobile: Enterprise management of mobile deployments
- Data Analysis, Stories and Tables: Optimize story building performance
- Data Analysis, Stories and Tables: Auto refresh of stories in view mode
- Data Analysis, Stories and Tables: Force prompt on open
- Data Analysis, Stories and Tables: Star join time hierarchies in HANA
- Data Analysis, Stories and Tables: Notification when multiple users are editing a story
- Data Analysis, Stories and Tables: Date interval calculation
- Data Analysis, Stories and Tables: NULL value calculations
- Data Analysis, Stories and Tables: Histograms
- Data Analysis, Stories and Tables: Setting hierarchy drill level in charts
- Data Analysis, Stories and Tables: Expanding hierarchies in charts
Learn with our latest video tutorials
- Create a model from SuccessFactors Workforce Analytics
- Apply filters to a chart in a story
- Apply filters to a geo map in a story
- Full tutorial playlist >
We now allow direct entry of user defined calculations within the calculation area of the grid in both the rows and columns. Previously, support existed for calculations in the grid but it was outside of the predefined calculation area. This capability simplifies both the construction of report calculations (e.g. variance calculation) and the ability to customize the layout of your reports and calculations. Moreover, these in-grid calculations will be replicated down (or across!) consistent with changes in drill state of the specific report.
Never again will you forget which cells you’ve changed! In this release, when you select a cell to add to a formula, the cell will be highlighted so it’s easier for you to remember which cells you’ve changed.
When you type a formula in a cell, you can now create cell references by simply selecting a table or grid cell.
Made a mistake? Don’t sweat it! If needed, you can now reset all your substitutes back to your default assignees. You can even exclude pages from input tasks that get sent to assignees, too!
Your administrators can see all the pages but your assignee will not. Got an issue with that? Now as an assignee, you can include comments when you choose to submit or decline a task.
Easily create private versions by dragging and dropping your public version to your private version section. We’ve also added keyboard support for all versions.
Planning operations including data entry on unbooked cells are now supported when filtering by dimension attributes. These navigation attributes can be combined with other types of dimension filters.
Navigation attributes are allowed in:
- Story filters
- Page filters
- Builder panel filters
Data source tab for public dimensions
We’ve upgraded our public dimensions area! Now access the “Datasource” tab for public dimensions. This will capture all the information uploaded in it, creating a smoother consistent user experience for you and showing information about all data uploads into a public dimension.
SAP BPC improvements
We’ve extended support to BPC models which use non-calendar fiscal years. To streamline and simplify integration with BPC, we’ve removed the option of creating a “read-only” model. Any BPC model can be read-only or write-enabled simply via the specific security configuration for the model within SAP Analytics Cloud.
Complex multi-dimensional filtering with R visualizations
R visualization widgets can now accommodate advanced filters for complex multi-dimensional inclusions and exclusions—so you can easily select N-tuples of dimension members to be filtered together.
Tired of seeing yesterday’s data? You can now set your story data in Digital Boardroom to automatically refresh in your presentation settings. It’s up to you to choose if you want your story refreshed every 5 minutes or 5 hours! Auto refresh is also available for stories independent of the Digital Boardroom—check out the details below!
Table visualizations using live connections to SAP BW now supports the BW Query setting “Display as Hierarchy” (also known as Universal Display Hierarchy.)
The Universal Display Hierarchy setting in the BW Query can be activated in the rows and/or columns. This allows two or more dimensions defined in the row or columns in the BW Query to be displayed hierarchically within a table visualization.
Interested in learning more? Check out our new blog on Universal Display Hierarchy support with SAP BW!
Stories using live connections to BW BEx queries containing two structures now support custom measures (calculated or restricted) within a visualization (table/chart.)
Now, administrators can manage their SAP Analytics Cloud Mobile application via Mobile Application Management (MAM) solutions. As an administrator, you can specify your tenant URL, set up a default story to open on launch, and remove the application off a user’s device.
Save time when you design your stories! By enabling this performance optimization option in the modeler, charts or tables can be altered in a story without triggering an automatic refresh with each action.
Auto refresh stories! Set an interval for auto refresh in seconds, minutes, and hours (min. 30 secs.) You can also turn off auto refresh in view mode.
If auto refresh fails five times in a row, the feature will be temporarily disabled and you will be notified.
Story designers can configure prompts for viewers when they open a story, ensuring that the viewers are aware that the story is driven by prompts that can be adjusted.
Please note if there are two models and all variables are linked, only one prompt variable dialog will be shown for both models.
We now support star join time hierarchies in HANA! Please note that the minimum HANA version is 122.05.
Whether it’s two people, or twenty, all users editing the same story concurrently will be notified of each other’s presence. If any user in this scenario saves their story, all the other users will become viewers of that story and can only save a copy of it.
Example: Colin is in Design Mode for a story and Cynthia opens the same story in Design Mode. They will both receive a notification of each other’s presence. If Colin saves his version before Cynthia, then Cynthia will have the option to save a copy of her edits as a new story (and vice versa.)
You now can create date difference calculations on:
You can also calculate on different granularities such as:
Please note that this is only available for imported data.
Now you can do calculations on NULL values in either calculated measures or dimensions.
We’ve added histograms as a new chart group! Histograms are easy-to-read charts that allow you to compare quantitative data in a visually compelling way.
Please note that blended data-sets and remote connections are not yet supported.
You can now set the hierarchy drill levels in the chart details and builder panel. Once the chart is saved, the drill level selection is maintained when reopening the story.
Please note that the only live data source supported for this feature is HANA.
Expand hierarchy top nodes of accounts or dimensions in your charts. Once they’ve been expanded, you can see both parent and child nodes. This level selection is maintained when reopening the story once the story is saved.
Please note that the only live data source supported for this feature is HANA.
- Video tutorials
- Guided learning
- Events and recordings
- SAP Analytics Cloud help resources
- Official roadmap contains more info on future plans, subject to change.
Previous feature summary blogs:
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2018.06
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2018.05
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2018.04
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2018.03
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2018.02
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2018.01
- More >
SAP has no obligation to pursue any course of business outlined in this blog or any related presentation, or to develop or release any functionality mentioned therein. This blog, or any related presentation and SAP’s possible future developments, products and or platforms directions and functionality are all subject to change and may be changed by SAP at any time for any reason without notice. The information in this blog is not a commitment, promise or legal obligation to deliver any material, code, or functionality. This blog is provided without a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. This blog is for informational purposes and may not be incorporated into a contract. SAP assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in this document, except if such damages were caused by SAP’s willful misconduct or gross negligence.
All forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.