In my former blog, I tried to clarify on an helicopter/bird’s view the difference between SAP ECC powered by SAP HANA, SAP Suite on SAP HANA, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Finance.
Being part of the SAP S/4HANA Enterprise Support Value Map team,, I often see confusion about the deployment options of SAP S/4HANA.
When you want to move to SAP S/4HANA, there are first two very important questions to answer:
- How should I make the move to SAP S/4HANA based on my current situation? This is referred as transition paths
- Where should I deploy SAP S/4HANA based on my requirements? This is referred as deployment options
Both questions need to be answered, and each one may influence the other.
In the first part of this blog, I will give some hints to help you understanding on a macro/bird’s or helicopter view, what are the deployment options of SAP S/4HANA.
This is voluntarily a simplified vision to provide clarification and an overall understanding of the differences between the deployment models. So I may use shortcuts for clarification purposes, although not fully exact on detailed level.
A bit of wording/branding
First, as usual, a bit of wording/branding is necessary:
- SAP S/4HANA without more qualifier implicitely refers to the on-premise option of SAP S/4HANA
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud implicitely refers to the Public Cloud deployment option of SAP S/4HANA
- SAP HEC: SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud is a fully scalable and secure private managed cloud offering available only from SAP for hosting and managing SAP HANA based systems (which can be a SAP BW or a SAP CRM or a SAP S/4HANA system for example)
Attention: SAP HEC is often confused with SAP Cloud Platform (often named/shorted as SCP, or HCP ), sometimes even SAP HANA or even SAP S/4HANA, but none of these are the same at all.
The four deployment options:
Now, we are ready to list the four deployment options for SAP S/4HANA with the correct naming and branding.
- SAP S/4HANA
- SAP S/4HANA deployed in SAP HEC
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud, single tenant edition
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud
As a first reminder, I wanted to highlight that all deployment options are split in only 2 different software “editions”:
- SAP S/4HANA – SAP S/4HANA ( deployed in SAP HEC ) – SAP S/4HANA Cloud, single tenant editiokn
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud
So what are the main differences between the 4 deployment options?
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud is available as Software as a Service (SaaS) and has a different scope, which is currently focused on core processes and Professional Services
- SAP S/4HANA , SAP S/4HANA deployed SAP HEC, and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, single tenant edition have the same functional scope, including industries, with different deployment options, contractual model and service levels
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP S/4HANA private edition are based on a “one contract ” subscription model. The contract will comprise the software (SAP S/4HANA and SAP HANA) subscription, infrastructure/hardware and services
Let’s now put all of this in a schema to get the full picture
So what are the key takeaways of this first part?
- Deployment option is a key decision in your SAP S/4HANA project planning
- If you are aiming for cloud, and subscription based model, you have the choice between two deployment options:
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud with a core scope, available as a Software as a Service (SaaS) receiving innovation on quarterly basis,
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud, single tenant edition, with the same functional scope as SAP S/4HANA, including industries
- If you are aiming to delegate hardware and infrastructure to SAP, but need the most flexible choice, together with additional optional service offerings, your choice would be deploying SAP S/4HANA in SAP HEC
- If you are aiming to keep in your premise or at hosting Partner, SAP S/4HANA is for you
Renaud VAN DEN DAELE
SAP S/4HANA Value Map Focus Advisor
This and much more you can learn with us on SAP Enterprise Support Value Maps.
Still wondering what the SAP Enterprise Support Value Maps are? Just keep reading.
SAP Enterprise Support Value Maps are comprised in Enterprise Support maintenance, and are like a navigation system that guides you to the right SAP Enterprise Support services, tools, and offerings to achieve a desired objective that is your ‘final destination’.
We invite you to read more about Value Maps on the SAP Support Portal* with an easy access here
* Valid S-User is required to enter the SAP Support Portal.