Leveraging Leading Practices to Optimize Your SAP SuccessFactors Solution Implementation
Blog Two in a Two-Part Series
If your organization chose to deploy SAP SuccessFactors solutions to improve the way you deliver HR services, you’re not alone. In addition, most firms are looking to implement cloud-based software quickly and with low effort and risk. They also want to Run Simple by using leading practices, as discussed in part one of this two-part blog series. And finally, they want a user-centric design that delights managers and employees, regardless of whether they are in the office or on their mobile devices.
To help you achieve these goals, we provide the process library for SAP SuccessFactors solutions – a unique and specific body of knowledge created and maintained by SAP about leading HR practices. You can download the assets from the process library in the SAP SuccessFactors community free of charge.
The process library supports HR transformation and enables customers to drive standardization and fast adoption of SAP SuccessFactors solutions. At the same time, the process library for SAP SuccessFactors solutions helps you:
- Make optimal design decisions, harmonize processes, and prepare for the implementation.
- Avoid implementation risks and implement SAP SuccessFactors solutions as they were designed.
- Accelerate the process design to enable a smooth implementation project of SAP SuccessFactors solutions.
- Harmonize HR processes globally based on SAP standards.
- Evaluate the benefit potential and change impact.
Our customers have rated the importance of leading practices a 4.34 out of 5 on our community site, and we believe the process library for SAP SuccessFactors solutions helps them a great deal.[source]
Using the process library documents for SAP SuccessFactors solutions
The process library includes assets to help customers better understand how SAP SuccessFactors solutions should be implemented and used. You’ll find information about:
- LEADING PRACTICES: Which leading practices were used to model the process flows for SAP SuccessFactors software? This collection of leading practices describes SAP’s recommendations to HR for implementing SAP SuccessFactors solutions.
- PROCESS SUMMARIES: The process summaries describe a “use case,” often a sub-process. They also define when and how a sub-process starts and ends, what dependencies exist to other processes, who the participants are, and what the main purpose is. This asset helps you to define your HR goals for this process based on SAP standards.
- PROCESS FLOWS: The process flows for the process library are built with the goal of defining end-to-end HR processes specifically for SAP SuccessFactors solutions. They include all relevant activities in swim lanes, which represents the major user roles. User roles are defined based on the leading HR operating model: HR business partners, centers of excellence, and shared services.
You can use the process flows to evaluate SAP SuccessFactors solutions and the potential improvements to your current as-is processes very early in your road map planning process. The process flows can also be used to define the target HR process design as well as to harmonize existing (local) processes before the implementation project starts. The process flows can serve as a guideline to define test scripts as well as input to define custom-specific training material, user manuals, and standard operating procedures.
Tips for making the most of leading practices
To get the most from these resources, we recommend the following approach:
- Take time to re-evaluate your current HR processes. This is an excellent time to simplify things and look for ways to reduce complexities. Leading practices enable simpler processes and solutions that can be implemented faster and with less risk.
- Make sure that the drivers for your solution design are real business needs and organizational culture. Leading practices can help you identify your company’s needs and how the software’s functional options can meet those needs. In addition, they help you articulate how you will achieve the project goals and define the project scope more effectively.
- If others are successful doing something you want to do, take the time to learn what they are doing that works. Turning your back on the successes of others may limit your own.
- Improve along the way.Automating the things you’ve always done will get you the same results, just faster. If you are going through the effort of implementing new software, use this project as an opportunity to improve, innovate, and transform so you realize the best results for your hard work.
- Expand your initial vision. Your initial driver for investment may be to fix or update broken processes, but with SAP SuccessFactors solutions, it’s easy to add new processes that improve your business by adopting leading practices supported by the software. Even small increases in the implementation effort can significantly increase the business value of your final project.
- Consider the time and money savings you can realize by adopting leading practices and only configuring where needed. This approach can save you needless design time and consulting dollars.
The SAP SuccessFactors Model Company for HR
Probably the fastest way to implement SAP SuccessFactors solutions and use the leading HR practices is to use the SAP Model Company for HR. SAP Model Company is a pre-configured system and service offering built using our leading practices and end-to-end HR processes. It is currently available for most of the SAP SuccessFactors solutions and already localized for more than 15 countries and 10 languages.
How professional services teams use leading practices
After you identify the initial target processes for your implementation project, business process consultants from SAP Digital Business Services or an SAP partner help you adopt relevant leading practices and implement the appropriate ones (in other words, operationalize them using the software). They will likely recommend hosting on-site workshops for key business, HR, and IT stakeholders, as well as executives to help you:
- Identify key rules and principles for HR processes that will contribute to further harmonization and standardization of HR activities and functions.
- Design the HR processes and roles to be supported by SAP SuccessFactors solutions, based on the leading practice processes documented in the process library for SAP SuccessFactors solutions.
- Identify what important business decisions must be made to facilitate a smooth implementation of SAP SuccessFactors solutions.
- Determine the innovation and harmonization potential for your business.
- Get the information required to start a change impact analysis.
- Draw up a detailed scope and process improvement summary of the implementation project for SAP SuccessFactors solutions that can serve as the basis for informing your stakeholders.
Get started today!
Implementing leading HR practices from SAP SuccessFactors solutions can make your company a best-run business faster, easier, and with less risk and cost than ever before. To learn more, visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCPRicgo5Ek.
Learn more about leading practices and SAP Model Company for HR in this white paper, “Turning People Strategies into a Catalyst for Change: A Prescriptive, Preconfigured, and Leading-Practice Approach to HR Digitalization.”