Blog Series: SAP Solution Manager for SAP Activate Implementation Roadmaps
Welcome back to our blog series. This Blog follows the recent update we made to the General On-Premise Business Suite Roadmap. As we have announced in our initial blog, we will be posting blog series to help expand your implementation experience while using SAP Activate.
Many customers are familiar with SAP Solution Manager, the tool that offers an end-to-end application lifecycle management and covers the complete application lifecycle for your IT solution.
Today, we will talk about how you can use SAP Solution Manager to jump start your implementation project.
The starting point is in the SAP Roadmap Viewer – please refer to the Getting Started with SAP Activate in Roadmap Viewer presentation for additional details.
What does the SAP Roadmap Viewer offer?
- SAP Roadmap Viewer contains the procedures and methods to help you bring improvements and innovations into your company. The implementation roadmaps are organized based on general or solution-specific relevance for projects and their respective solution(s).
- The selected implementation roadmap gives you the end-to-end understanding and guidance of the activities, deliverables, and associated tasks. The content within the implementation roadmap is assigned to different phases, workstreams, and/or other criteria. You have the ability to filter on a variety of tags to display only content relevant for your current activities and landscape.
- The implementation roadmap serves as the foundation for your project and you have the option to upload it into SAP Solution Manager- Project Management (IT-PPM). The result is a project plan in the form of a work breakdown structure (WBS) which you can use as a starting point for your project delivery.
SAP provides SAP Solution Manager as the recommended platform to efficiently support a successful implementation of your solution. In the SAP Roadmap Viewer, you will find an XML file which contains the WBS of the entire project plan.
During the Prepare phase, you can download the XML file and import it into SAP Solution Manager 7.2. This is the best way to jump start your project as you can use the provided project plan as a best practice template for your project implementation which you will later be able to adjust and modify it accordingly.
SAP Solution Manager 7.2 comes with a market established and fully integrated project management capabilities:
- Browse the WBS structure of the provided SAP Activate Methodology implementation project plan
- Flexible project structure for easier project handling
- Resource management
- Project analytics
- Overview of project status(s)
- Integrated issue management
- Integration with change requests and requirement management
- And much more…
The standard product “SAP Portfolio and Project Management 6.1” is fully deployed in SAP Solution Manager 7.2. The Project Management functionality can be used for IT projects as part of the Solution Manager usage rights. Please note, the Portfolio Management section is not part of these usage rights and requires additional licenses. Please see FAQs in SAP Note 2026407
Start from SAP Fiori Launchpad in SAP Solution Manager 7.2 (Transaction code: /n/UI2/FLP) – For Solution Manager 7.1, refer to the following How-to-Guide.
Select “My Projects – Project Management”
In “My Projects” select “Import Project” and import the project plan (the XML file which you have saved) from the SAP Roadmap Viewer
Select the Project plan (XML) and import selected Data
Once imported in Solution Manager, all Phases, deliverable, and tasks will be available in the project structure and you will be able to use Project Management activities from the Prepare through the Run phase to:
- Manage Scope, timelines, and budget
- Define and manage resources
- Track and monitor the execution of your project
- Collaborate with project team members
Availability & Accessibility
The SAP Activate Methodology for Business Suite and On-Premise of both Agile and Waterfall is available on the SAP Roadmap Viewer. Please login to get access to additional content or follow this link to Getting Started with SAP Activate in Roadmap Viewer.
Questions or Comments
If you have question about the SAP Activate Methodology for Business Suite and On-Premise (Agile & Waterfall) roadmap, please visit and join the SAP Activate Methodology Jam Community to get access to experts, resources, and the latest news. With over 24k subscribers, the SAP Activate Jam Community will be the best resource for you to connect with our experts to figure out how SAP Activate is right for you and your project implementation.
If this topic series interests you, check out our e-book SAP S/4HANA Cloud: Implementation with SAP Activate which is available from SAP PRESS.
Also, find other SAP Activate posts on SAP Communities using #sapactivate as the search term.