S4 Finance: GL Master Data
With S4 Finance, the GL Master Data and Cost Element Master Data have merged. The duplication of creation and inconsistencies in GL Master Data and cost element, hitherto, is now eliminated.
Below are the changes to GL Master Data:
GL Account Type
There are now 4 options in Account Type. Previously, Account Type was either Balance Sheet or Profit & Loss type. Profit & Loss Type is now split to below:
- NonOperating Expense or Income
- Primary Costs or Revenue
- Secondary Costs
Selecting the option will influence the screen layout under Controlling Area (of cost element).
Retained Earning for P&L
The option to select a Retained Earning Account only shows up when you have more than one P&L Statement Account Type in the configuration. If there is only one type, this field is hidden,
Merging Cost Element Master Data with GL Master Data
Cost Element definition is part of GL Master Data maintenance.
- Fields Cost Element Category, Record Quantity, Unit of Measure are now part of “Control Data” tab on the GL Master Data in Company Code view
- Transaction to create, change, display cost element now point to create, change, display of GL Account
- The other fields in cost element Master Data have been dropped. For e.g. default account assignment, joint venture fields, functional area
- There are 2 new tables SKCSKA and SKCSKB that replicate Cost Element tables CSKA and CSKB respectively
- The Transaction codes (KA*) to create/ change/ display cost elements now route to create/ change/ display GL Account
Time-dependant attributes to GL Master Data
There is a new feature in the GL Account Master Data maintenance called “Time Dependant attributes”. Here you can maintain:
- Time Dependant Description: If you want to change the description (Short Text and Long Text) and keep a trial of previous descriptions with the date of change, make the change in this tab instead of changing the description on the “Type/Description” tab of the GL Account Master Data
- Old G/L Account Number: This is useful if you want to keep a trial of old G/L Accounts that this GL Accounts relate to. These could be old GL Accounts from legacy systems or old GL Account before SLO activities. The old G/L Account field is a free text field.
- Reports read the current descriptions; they do not read the time-dependant fields
Clearing specific to Ledger Groups
In the “Control Data” tab there is a new indicator for “Clearing specific to Ledger Groups”. To understand more about Ledger Groups, read my blog on Ledgers and Ledger Groups. If you select this indicator, the account is managed on an open-item basis.
- Clearing can be performed within the same ledger group.
- There is a new transaction F.13L (G/L Accounts – specific to Ledger Groups) that will allow you to clear open items in these individual accounts within specific Ledger Groups.
- Items posted to the Leading Ledger are cleared in the Leading Ledger (Automatic Clearing – Transaction F.13 or F.13E; **Manual Clearing – FB1SL; Repost with Clearing FB05L).
- The clearing rules are the same as those maintained for the Leading Ledger within “Additional Rules for Automatic Clearing).
- You cannot set the indicator for the following accounts:
- Goods receipt and invoice receipt accounts
- Accounts for cash discounts
- Reconciliation accounts
- Tax-relevant accounts
- P&L accounts
** Update 15/04/2018
S/4 HANA Cloud 1709
Blog focuses on additional features compared to ECC. Good knowledge of ECC is assumed.