SAP Data Services 4.2 and al_engine.exe process
Hello Community Members,
Recently we implemented SAP Data Services in our environment. Our environment information is as below.
|OS||MS Win Server 2012|
|DB||MS SQL 2012|
|DS Version||DS 4.2 SP10|
Now what is happening is every time when we try to restart job server we are not able to start it properly due to TCP port issue. We are receiving error as below.
Error: Job server HOSTNAME:3500 is not accessible.Connection refused: connect (local port 52678 to address 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0, remote port 3500 to address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (HOSTNAME.domain.com))
We tried to look through SAP Notes and we are not able to find 100% proper solution for this issue. There is one SAP note taking about how to check port and process used by OS in 1845121 – Address already in use – how to find the process listening on port …
Well this note is saying kill the process in task manager but wait… what we see is the PID id showing is not listed in to task manager. We tried to use process explorer tool but no luck with it.
Now real issue was the process who is occupying port is child process and it is not shoing under task manager or process explorer.
- Login to Data services server and run command as below
netstat -aon | find “3500”
netstat -aon | findstr 3500
What you see is this command showing all PID and use by TCP port 3500
- Now what we did is STOP SAP Data Services service at operating system level
- After we run same command again to see if port is been free or not yet
Well port is still in use now we will not able to find this PID in task manager of window
- Run command as below to find parent process.
wmic process where ‘(Parentprocessid=15824)’ get ‘processid,parentprocessid,executablepath’
As you see that al_engine.exe is the process holding this port.
- This process is in use because of “Server Intelligence Agent” is not releasing process of data services show as below
- Now stop and start SIA (Server Intelligence Agent) and start your Data Services again you will able to start job server again.
Hope this document helps you to fix this issue.
If you have any further question feel free to ask on SAP Community using Tag: SAP Data Services.
Thank you for reading.