If you are interested in learning SAP SuccessFactors and in attaining its certifications, as am I, here are few tips which can help you in doing so. And if your interest is to know what the Performance and Goal Management is all about, then you may find this blog particularly useful.
Professional Development Steps, from Study to Certification
In addition to providing details on how to study and prepare for any of the SAP exams (in cloud), I have also briefly explained the component – generally known by its abbreviation i.e. PMGM. It is among the list of my latest qualifications and now as I’ve achieved its certification along with the previous which I explained at Get Certified and Promote Skills, I’m here to help you in setting your professional development plan.
So without further ado, here is your guide to start your learning journey.
- Understand the Business Process
- Know the Solution Structure
- Look for the individual Topic Areas
- Find the relation of all of the above
- Allocate and follow Time required to study
- Attempt the Learning Assessments
- Watch the Demos, where available
- Re-read the content
The above learning approach is applicable to most of the courses you take through the Learning Hub and is not specific to SuccessFactors, however, the example I’ve used here is of the HR solution used to manage corporate goals and employees’ performance.
Example: Plan in Action
Let me explain how you can apply the above to THR82 course i.e. SAP SuccessFactors Performance and Goals Academy.
If you look at the scenario in which an assessment solution is required, you’ll notice it all starts with a vision an organization has. It gives the business a clear focus and serves as a blueprint to set goals. To ensure the aspirations are achieved, the goals have to be defined at the top and distributed throughout the organization. Additionally, the work of individuals carrying out specific tasks need to be evaluated from time-to-time to reward them for adherence and to align them if there are any discrepancies.
Business Process: Appraisal
The above mentioned scenario is supported by an Appraisal process. The process is carried out in number of steps, such as
- Setting expectations, to provide employees with the guidelines, and
- Evaluating their performance, rating these on certain scales, and rewarding them accordingly.
The process is used with other HR processes such as benefits & compensation, and career & succession planning etc. You should be able to understand the business process, end-to-end.
Corresponding Solution: Performance and Goal Management
Now when it comes to a solution which could support such processes, the PMGM stands out, for the functionalities it offers, including
- Goal Management to align employees with corporate objectives,
- Performance Management to review performance, identify top performers and future leaders, and provide feedback,
- Continuous Performance Management to ensure all of the achievements of employees are related to the goals,
- 360 Degree Performance Review for true understanding of employees’ strengths and weaknesses, and
- Calibration to rate the performance and provide assessment.
Training to Learn the Process and the Solution
After knowing about the core components of the solution, which are referred above, get to know the training course to learn about the content it covers. In our scenario it is TH82 – SAP SuccessFactors Performance and Goals Academy.
Course Structure and Learning
As you can see on the link, the course guides the learners on Configuring and Customizing Goal & Performance Management. When you take the course, through classroom training or Learning Hub, pay particular attention to the topic areas which describes the weight assigned to each. You can find the details at C_THR82_1711.
All of the topics, mentioned on the link, are covered in the academy course and are structured as follows:
- There are 22 Units, each having different Lessons,
- Each Unit and Lesson has few Learning Objectives,
- Each Lesson ends with a Summary,
- The E-Books provide Learning Assessments at the end of each Unit,
- The E-Learning mentions the Time Estimate at the beginning of Each Unit and Lesson, and provides Demos, where required.
When you study, allocate and spend the required time to ensure you learn the topics clearly. The Learning Assessments, given at the end of the Unit, also provide the correct answers as well. Compare your answers to know how perfect you have learned the individual topics. If you do not have access to system, the Demos help you in understanding how certain steps are performed in a Live System. Refer to these resources as many time as possible.
Studied, Learned, and Certified? Now Comment!
Once you are done with the training, have understood the concepts taught in the course, and can relate the processes with tools, rereading the material and referring to other resources, just as this blog, can help you in performing in exam better. Take the test, get certified and comment on this blog to tell if it helped you in anyways.
The last thing, keep learning as it’s not dependent on exam or particular training. I learned an interesting feature of the component I mentioned at Accessing SuccessFactors through mobile and still trying to learn the Performance and Goals (as well as other) component(s).
If you have any other tip(s) to help me and others in learning SAP better, please do share.