Direct integration between embedded EWM & TM in S/4HANA improving overall efficiency of suply chain
SAP embedded EWM and TM in 1610 and 1709 releases respectively in S/4HANA. Many of the customers are looking for simplifications with business processes with the opportunity of Direct integration of embedded EWM and TM. It is important to note
- Embedded EWM still needs to be set up as a separate Logical system and deliveries from S/4HANA are to be distributed to embedded EWM (similar to Decentralized EWM)
- Embedded TM need not be set up as a separate logical system . Output message is also not required to set up for transfer of deliveries to embedded TM. Refer blog https://blogs.sap.com/2017/10/29/simplification-in-integration-of-embedded-tm-w.r.t-standalone-tm-2/ for more details
- Direct integration between embedded TM and EWM still needs to be established through Web service as of 1709 release. SAP will take 1 or 2 years (as per present road map) for seamless integration between embedded TM and EWM within S/4HANA and hence Web service is the option for customers going live with 1709 and 1808 releases.
- Yard management(YM) is not a pre-requisite for Direct integration between embedded TM and EWM. YM may be an overkill for smaller warehouses and the movement of TU to checkpoint or warehouse door can be controlled through /SCWM/TU.
Transportation unit (TU) is created in EWM after the transfer of the loading instruction with message “TransportationOrderLoadingAppointmentRequest_Out” to embedded EWM. Transfer of message from TM to EWM can be checked through ‘Message monitoring’ in SOAMANAGER as depicted in below image with status ‘Green’.
Number of TU can be same as of Freight order (FO) in embedded TM for easier identification and can be searched with the number of FO. Relevant delivery documents can get updated as captured in below image.
EWM also sends the message “ TransportationOrderLoadingAppointmentNotification_Out” to embedded TM after loading and departure of TU as in below image.
And the same gets reflected in FO as in below image.
We need to wait for seamless integration, but still this opportunity of Direct integration for embedded EWM and TM will have immense IT and business benefits like
- No CIF, No PI is needed
- No need for transfer of master data
- No duplication of transaction objects / business documents
- Activities in transportation planning are updating the relevant warehouse objects directly and the same from warehouse operations to transportation objects which facilitates the co-ordination between Transportation planner and warehouse personnel resulting in better Logistic execution of customer orders
- Improvement in Overall efficiency and speed of supply chain
Update on 28th June’2020: SAP has now released a note 2933925 with an attachment describing detailed steps in SOAMANAGER for Direct integration between TM and EWM in S/4HANA