Employee Onboarding sample application is built using SAP Cloud Platform Workflow Service. This is an extension scenario to SuccessFactors Employee Onboarding process. We have developed this sample application using SAP Cloud Platform Workflow Service and Portal Service. This sample application is shipped as part of SAP Cloud Platform Web IDE.
When a candidate is recruited by a company after the interview process, the HR saves the new hire information (personal, job-related, employment-related, etc.) in SuccessFactors. The employee on-boarding extension scenario automate additional process steps to be performed by different users (hiring manager, buddy, etc.) to have a smooth onboarding experience to the new hire.
The scenario is described more in detail.
Import and Configure Sample Application
If you do not have a cloud platform account or not yet subscribed to Workflow service, please go through this blog and enable workflow service in your trial account.
You would require to configure workflow service and assign roles to user for deploying and executing SAP Cloud Platform workflow service applications. Workflow service configuration and assigning roles are explained in the help portal.
This Onboarding extension application is available as sample application in SAP Web IDE . You can import the sample application into your workspace, configure ,deploy and execute.
- Log On to Cloud Platform Cockpit and select Services and choose SAP Web IDE Full-Stack.
- Click on the tile SAP WebIDE Full-Stack and navigate to the overview page.
- Click Go to Service will open the Web IDE.
- Enable Workflow Service feature if you are using workflow service first time in your account. Refer how to enable hWorkflow Service in SAP Web IDE in the help portal.https://help.sap.com/viewer/f85276c5069a429fa37d1cd352785c25/Cloud/en-US/07adfa6d819a42e9966e63de1a654de4.html
- From the options in the extreme left-bar, select </> to open the workspace in development perspective mode.
- Select Workspace and right-click and select option New –>Project from Sample Application
- Select ‘Employee Onboarding Extension Workflow’ application from list of available sample applications and click on ‘Next’ button
- Accept SAP License Agreement by selecting Checkbox and click on ‘Finish’ button.
- Employee Onboarding application will be imported into workspace and will look like as shown in screenshot below
- Workflow model ‘onboard.workflow’ is under ‘workflows’ folder, you can open it with ‘Workflow Editor’ to understand the workflow model for employee onboarding scenario. The onboarding extension Workflow model looks like
- This workflow is using SuccessFactors APIs to get employee details and his/her buddies list.
- If you do no have own SuccessFactors tenant get a demo tenant from https://hcmcloudops.successfactors.com
- Create a destination from ‘Connectivity->Destinations’ in your cloud cockpit.
- Destination ‘SFSF’ is used for service tasks ‘Get Employee Details from SuccessFactors’ and ‘Get Buddy List from SFSF’.
- You would require to configure workflow service and assign roles to user for deploying and executing SAP Cloud Platform workflow service applications. Workflow service configuration and assigning roles are explained in help document at https://help.sap.com/viewer/f85276c5069a429fa37d1cd352785c25/Cloud/en-US/3805ffa92af64eafb6ceff83716262ba.html
- Deploy ‘onboard.workflow’ model which is under ‘workflows’ folder by right click onboard.workflow file and select ‘Deploy->Deploy to SAP Cloud Platform Workflow’
- Deploy UI application by right clicking on ‘sample.onboarding’ project and selecting ‘Deploy->Deploy to SAP Cloud Platform’
Executing Sample Application
Follow the steps below to execute employee onboarding sample application that you have deployed above.
- Goto Cloud Platform cockpit , select Services and search Workflow Services.
- Click on Workflow tile and navigate to Workflow Service overview page. Click Fiori Launchpad(Default Site)
if there are no FIORI tiles visible, click on the user icon and App Finder icon.
Select workflow catalogue and choose My Inbox , Monitor Workflows Workflow Definitions and Monitor Workflows Workflow Instances.
- Goto portal application and navigate to ‘Monitor Workflows-> Workflow Definitions’ tile.
- Select onboard workflow definition and click ‘Start New Instance’ button
- Default context for workflow model is pre-configured. Modify the value of “userId” with a valid user (Person Id) from your SuccessFacotrs tenant. Modify the values of buddyId and managerId with appropriate users Ids from your Cloud Platform Identity Provider Service. You could also use your own Cloud Plaform UserId and buddyId and managerId while testing the scenario. Make sure both buddyId and managerId users have assigned WorkflowParticipant role.
- Click Start New Instance button to create a new workflow instance.
- Click on ‘Show Instances‘ button to see the newly created instance.
- Log Out and Log On using the userId assigned as buddyId in the previous step.
- Go back to portal home page and click on the tile My Inbox à All Tasks. Refer documentation from the URL below to work with tasks in My Inbox
- Select the task ‘Confirm or Change Equipment for Carla Grant’. Carla Grant is the name of user id given while creating instance, this name may change based on the userId provided.
- Workflow Application has assigned a list of equipment for employee, you can optionally add/remove equipment.
- Click on ‘Confirm’ button to complete the task.
- Log Out from My Inbox and Log On back with ‘managerId’ credentials that you have given while creating workflow instance.
- A task would have been assigned to the manager to ‘Approve Equipment for Carla Grant’, Carla Grant is the name of user id given while creating instance, this name may change based on the userId provided
- Click on ‘Approve’ button to complete the task.
- Log Out from My Inbox and Log On back with ‘buddyId’ credentials that you have given while creating instance.
- You would see a new task to ‘Accept Workplace for Carla Grant’, Carla Grant is the name of user id given while creating instance, this name may change based on the userId provided
- Click on ‘Accept Workplace’ button to complete the task. Workflow is completed and workflow instance will not be shown under ‘Manage Workflowsà Workflow Instances’
Complete version of this Employee Onboarding application for SuccessFactors extension scenario is available at public github repository and you can find and download the same from https://github.com/SAP/cloud-workflow-sfsf-ext
Please refer the scn article how to integrate Onboarding extension workflow with SuccessFactors Intelligent services.