SAP Cloud Platform Workflow Sample Application
Employee Onboarding sample application is built using SAP Cloud Platform Workflow Service. This is an extension scenario to SuccessFactors Employee Onboarding process. We have developed this sample application using SAP Cloud Platform Workflow Service and Portal Service. This sample application is shipped as part of SAP Cloud Platform Web IDE.
When a candidate is recruited by a company after the interview process, the HR saves the new hire information (personal, job-related, employment-related, etc.) in SuccessFactors. The employee on-boarding extension scenario automate additional process steps to be performed by different users (hiring manager, buddy, etc.) to have a smooth onboarding experience to the new hire.
The scenario is described more in detail.
Import and Configure Sample Application
If you do not have a cloud platform account or not yet subscribed to Workflow service, please go through this blog and enable workflow service in your trial account.
You will have to configure workflow service and assign roles to user for deploying and executing SAP Cloud Platform workflow service applications. Workflow service configuration and roles assignment are explained in the help portal.
This Onboarding extension application is available as sample application in SAP Web IDE . You can import the sample application into your workspace, configure ,deploy and execute.
- Log On to Cloud Platform Cockpit and select Services and choose SAP Web IDE Full-Stack.
- Click on the tile SAP WebIDE Full-Stack and navigate to the overview page.
- Click on Go to Service will open the Web IDE.
- Enable Workflow Service feature if you are using workflow service for the first time in your account. Refer to the help portal to learn how to enable Workflow Service in SAP Web. portal.https://help.sap.com/viewer/f85276c5069a429fa37d1cd352785c25/Cloud/en-US/07adfa6d819a42e9966e63de1a654de4.html
- From the options in the extreme left-bar, select </> to open the workspace in development perspective mode.
- Select Workspace and right-click and select option New –>Project from Sample Application
- Select ‘Employee Onboarding Extension Workflow’ application from list of available sample applications and click on ‘Next’ button
- Accept SAP License Agreement by selecting Checkbox and click on ‘Finish’ button.
- Employee Onboarding application will be imported into workspace and will look like as shown in screenshot below
- Workflow model ‘onboard.workflow’ is under ‘workflows’ folder; you can open it with ‘Workflow Editor’ to understand the workflow model for employee onboarding scenario. The onboarding extension Workflow model looks like
- This workflow is using SuccessFactors APIs to get employee details and his/her buddy list.
- If you do no have your own SuccessFactors tenant get a demo tenant from https://hcmcloudops.successfactors.com
- Create a destination from ‘Connectivity->Destinations‘ in your cloud cockpit.
- You can get the SuccessFactors API URLs for different data centers from https://apps.support.sap.com/sap/support/knowledge/public/en/2215682
- Destination ‘SFSF’ is used for the following service tasks
- ‘Get Employee Details from SuccessFactors’
- ‘Get Buddy List from SFSF’.
- You would require to configure workflow service and assign roles to user for deploying and executing SAP Cloud Platform workflow service applications. Workflow service configuration and assigning roles are explained in help document at https://help.sap.com/viewer/f85276c5069a429fa37d1cd352785c25/Cloud/en-US/3805ffa92af64eafb6ceff83716262ba.html
- Deploy ‘onboard.workflow‘ model which is under ‘workflows’ folder by right clicking onboard.workflow file and select ‘Deploy->Deploy to SAP Cloud Platform Workflow‘
- Deploy UI application by right clicking on ‘sample.onboarding‘ project and selecting ‘Deploy->Deploy to SAP Cloud Platform‘
Executing Sample Application
Follow the steps below to execute employee onboarding sample application that you have deployed above.
- Goto Cloud Platform cockpit , select Services and search Workflow Services.
- Click on Workflow tile and navigate to Workflow Service overview page. Click Fiori Launchpad(Default Site)
if there are no FIORI tiles visible, click on the user icon and App Finder icon.
Select workflow catalog and choose ‘My Inbox‘ , ‘Monitor Workflows Workflow Definitions‘ and ‘Monitor Workflows Workflow Instances’.
- Goto portal application and navigate to ‘Monitor Workflows-> Workflow Definitions‘ tile.
- Select onboard workflow definition and click ‘Start New Instance’ button
- Default context for workflow model is pre-configured.
- Modify the value of “userId” with a valid user (Person Id) from your SuccessFacotrs tenant.
- Modify the values of buddyId and managerId with appropriate users Ids from your Cloud Platform Identity Provider Service.
- You could also use your own Cloud Plaform userId and buddyId and managerId while testing the scenario. Make sure both buddyId and managerId users have the WorkflowParticipant role assigned to them.
- Click Start New Instance button to create a new workflow instance.
- Click on ‘Show Instances‘ button to see the newly created instance.
- Log out of My Inbox and Log on using the ‘userid’ assigned as buddyId in the previous step.
- Go back to portal home page and click on the tile My Inbox–> All Tasks. Refer documentation from the URL below to work with tasks in My Inboxhttps:help.sap.com/viewer/f85276c5069a429fa37d1cd352785c25/Cloud/en-US/84852a371a144aa1a6b03e1e8c60e425.html
- In this walkthrough, Carla Grant is the name of user id given while creating instance. This name may change based on the userId provided. Please note this in future steps.
Select the task ‘Confirm or Change Equipment for Carla Grant’.
- Workflow Application has assigned a list of equipment for employee, you can optionally add/remove equipment.
- Click on ‘Confirm’ button to complete the task.
- Log out from My Inbox and Log on back with ‘managerId’ credentials that you have given while creating workflow instance.
- A task would have been assigned to the manager to ‘Approve Equipment for Carla Grant’,
- Click on ‘Approve’ button to complete the task.
- Log out from My Inbox and Log on back with ‘buddyId’ credentials that you have given while creating instance.
- You would see a new task to ‘Accept Workplace for Carla Grant’.
- Click on ‘Accept Workplace’ button to complete the task. Workflow is completed and the workflow instance will not be shown under ‘Manage Workflows Workflow Instances’
Complete version of this Employee Onboarding application for SuccessFactors extension scenario is available at public GitHub repository and you can find and download the same from https://github.com/SAP/cloud-workflow-sfsf-ext
Please refer the SCN article how to integrate Onboarding extension workflow with SuccessFactors Intelligent services.
not bad Reddy, short and simple: but I struggle with the SFSF tenant. You gave the link https://hcmcloudops.successfactors.com but for me it's not clear what to do there. I asked for a restricted access request under https://hcmcloudops.successfactors.com/Implementation/restrictedaccess, but still not clear where I get my destination configuration details. Can you add some more insights on that?
Obvioulsy I have to wait 90 minutes until a company is assigend to my demo instance..
Hope your issue was resolved. If not, can you confirm if you had requested an SFSF demo instance using the Partner Demo Request Tool? You should be getting a mail with the credentials once the instance is created.
If you do not have permissions to get an SFSF demo system, then you could use the SFSF OData API test system as mentioned in the blog from Manju Venkatesh.
Thanks for your blog . Its quite informative.
I am trying to set up this workflow in our cloud platform trial version environment with SF Demo system (which I have access to) .
The issue is - the files downloaded from the github is imported successfully into WebIDE. But it doesnt allow me to deploy the workflow ,as it doesnt recognise the files - scripts, email template and hire file . I tried a couple of things like duplicating it into other folder ,renaming the files and creating new script tasks , but it still doesnt seem to recognise.
Also when you mentioned that you can change the buddy , manager and user id (hire) - can you please provide some info on this . As I am not clear on the steps mentioned.
Can you confirm where you are facing this problem? Are you using the sample application as mentioned in this blog or did you import the workflow project from the Github?
Now I am able to view the onboarding application in the sample and was able to deploy it successfully. The issue is , I cannot see the Workflow catalog at all in Fiori default launchpad site. I tried to search using the app finder , but I cannot find them as well.
I created a portal site and added the workflow catalog from admin space - and now I can see the apps "monitor workflow instances". But again , the workflow ran successfully but the task which is pending at buddy stage is stuck . I assigned my S-userid , but I cannot see it in my Inbox. Any help would really appreciate it.
Resolved the issue . The user id is "S-userid" if it is in small case , it is not recognising it . Once I made it to CAPS , it worked fine.
Can you elaborate a bit more on log out and login using carla grant id? How do we access flp using SF id?