SUMMARY: Having separate passwords for the SAP ONE Support Launchpad and the SAP Download Manager (DLM) is a thing of the past thanks to the new Download Basket. Get prepared by consolidating your basket and installing the newest DLM version.
Last October, I explained in a blog post about the SAP ONE Support Launchpad’s new password policy why you may end up having to memorize two different passwords to access the SAP support infrastructure: In addition to the modern applications housed in the launchpad, there are still some old support tools hosted on a legacy platform.
Today, I have got good news for you: SAP is about to significantly reduce the number of touchpoints with that old infrastructure.
On March 24th, 2018, the new Download Basket will become mandatory for all users. The Download Basket is the list of software files that you selected on your journey through the SAP Software Download Center, and that you intend to download with the help of the SAP Download Manager. Until recently, basket and files were hosted on the service.sap.com platform (SAP Service Marketplace). It is this very platform that does not support state-of-the-art passwords.
So, to cut a long story short: Once you start using the new Download Basket, you can use your modern launchpad password to download software files. And you don’t have to wait until March 24th.
To make the transition easy for you, the user interface of the Download Basket will not change, nor will its URL. Furthermore, most items in your current Download Basket will be migrated to the new one. However, to start with a clean slate, download objects that were added before 2017 will no longer be shown in the new list. (Quite frankly, why would anyone add something to their basket, and then let it sit there and go stale for more than a year?)
What you should do now
A bit of housekeeping is required:
- Check your Download Basket for pre-2017 files that you may have forgotten to download.
- If you use the SAP Download Manager to retrieve software files from the basket, make sure you run the most recent version.
How to do this? Just follow these easy steps:
- Enter the Download Basket to check if it contains any files from 2016 or before. If it does, you can either download or delete them:
- Download all still relevant files, either one-by-one by clicking the title, or through mass download using the SAP Download Manager.
- Use the checkboxes to mark those files that you are not interested in, and click the Delete icon (X) to remove them from the basket. Or don’t do anything at all: In the new Download Basket, old files won’t show up anyway.
There is no rush to download items that you added in 2017 or 2018. They will be listed in your new Download Basket.
- Make sure that you have version 3.1.1.patch1 of the SAP Download Manager installed on your local computer. To do so, start the tool, then click Help > About SAP Download Manager.
- If you run a version older than 3.1.1.patch1, download and install the newest one.
- Finally, you have to make sure that the SAP Download Manager connects to the new file storage system. In the tool’s menu bar, click View, then Download Manager Configuration…, and select the Connection tab. Enter the address https://tech.support.sap.com.Do not use the address https://service.sap.com anymore!
- From now on, if you log on, use your S-user ID and – important! – your SAP ONE Support Launchpad password.
Again: You do not have to wait until March 24th to benefit from using the same password for launchpad and Download Manager. You can perform all steps straightaway and start using the new file storage system today.
Piloting Program SAP ONE Support Launchpad
We invite interested customers and partners to a special piloting program for the SAP ONE Support Launchpad. In this program, we offer roll-out and feedback sessions. We present new functionality that has become available since the previous release; give an outlook and insight on what we are currently working on; and collect and discuss feedback and ideas with participants. Sessions are held every 6-8 weeks. All interested parties can participate without obligations. The only prerequisite is a valid Feedback Agreement with SAP.
In case you would like to be involved and invited to future sessions, simply send an email to my colleague Arno Helmling containing your name, S-user ID, e-mail address, and the name of your company.