Do you have performance problems in your SAP systems due to uncontrolled batch job execution? Do you have active jobs, where nobody knows the owner, the reason for the job and what to do in case of errors? Do you face auditing issues as you cannot name an owner for all executables in your system? Do you already use SAP Solution Manager ITSM? If yes, you could use SAP Solution Manager Job Management to gain control over your background execution by redirecting Business users that try to schedule a job to an easy to fill job request form. After submitting the form an IT workflow is triggered, which ensures, that all jobs that are executed on the system are documented.
With the following screenshots, we give you an example on an implemented job management process, starting in a managed system’s SM36 transaction and finishing when the job is scheduled from the job document in Solution Manager. Finally, we provide you with some information on the implementation of such a process. (Note, that as of Solution Manager 7.2 SP07 Job Request Management can be integrated with external ticketing tools as well).
Step 1: End-user tries to schedule a background job in “his” system using SM36.
Step 2: End user is redirected to the job request form in Solution Manager (via Alias definition the end user does not need to have an own user in Solution Manager). Note that below form is a customized job request form.
Step 3: Job Request is submitted, triggering an ITSM workflow in Solution Manager
Step 4: Job Request is converted into Job Document and Job is scheduled according to end user wish.
In order to implement such a process the following actions need to be done:
1. Setup of Job Management in Solution Manager (7.1 or 7.2) using a Guided Procedure:
- Enter the transaction “SOLMAN_SETUP” in your system.
- Assign to your user the roles for use case SMC_JM_XXX
- Click on ” Business Process Operations” -> “Job Management”
- Execute at least step 1 and 2 of the Guided Procedure (if solution manager connects directly to the managed system) otherwise establish a connection to an SMSE certified schedule (i.e. execute also steps 5.1 and 5.2).
2. Configuration of the redirect in the managed system:
- Use transaction: “CRIT”. Add new criteria Profiles, type “Creating Batchjobs via Solution manager” from the toolbar.
- Create new “Criterion” from the toolbar of Criteria Hierarchy on the right side.
- Enter a description, e.g. “SM36”, then enter a value for MANDT and the users that shall be redirected into UNAME.
3. Optional: Adapt the standard Job Request form to meet your needs as described in https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SM/Job+Management in the document “Job Request UI – Configuration and Enhancement”