SAP ERP to S/4 HANA Migration Scenarios
# Purpose of this Article
There have been multiple scenarios while it comes to SAP (ECC) ERP migration to SAP S/4 HANA. It is important to understand customers current landscape and used functionalities and modules in current SAP landscape/system to determine the appropriate S/4 HANA migration scenario.
Determination of migration scenario is so important that based on this understanding only scope, team size and project valuation (bidding value) can be determined. For example, there could be multiple phases (sub projects) in one simple e.g. ECC6, EhP7 migration to S/4 HANA 1709.
Identification of appropriate migration scenario would help you finalizing following things:
- Magnitude of Work (Scope)
- Number of Project Phases
- Team Size Requirement
- Project Amount (Bid Amount)
Mainly this article is for sales team involved in approaching customers for SAP migration. I hope it helps them.
Note: This article is mainly for SAP consultants/management who are market goers (Sales Team). Please get your basics strong before committing anything about S/4 HANA Migration.
In this article we would be focussing on Scenario 6 and Scenario 7. Other Scenarios will be covered in future articles.
Note: This document is prepared considering that first, the migration will take place from ECC environment and required additional functionality would be activated in the migrated S/4 HANA 1709 environment. With this your customer would be in your hand.
# SAP S/4 HANA Migration Scenarios
Note: A new scenario has been evolved in S/4 HANA 1709 for customers who are already in SAP ERP with HANA1 (Suite on HANA) or S/4 HANA with HANA1 (S/4 HANA Finance 1503, 1605 and S/4 HANA 1511, 1610) and want migrate to S/4 HANA 1709 (which is on HANA2). Migration has to be done in two phases:
Phase1: SAP ERP o HANA (Suite on HANA) to SAP ERP HANA2 (Suite on HANA2)
Phase2: S/4 HANA with HANA1 (S/4 HANA Finance 1503, 1605 and S/4 HANA 1511, 1610) to S/4 HANA 1709 (1709 is on HANA2)
# S/4 HANA Migration Concepts (Doc. Splitting and Parallel Ledger/Accounting/HANA2)
Following points help you determining migration scenario in respect to scenario 6 and scenario 7:
- There is no concept of ‘New GL or ‘Classic GL’ in S/4 HANA
- New GL is not a pre-perquisite for migrating to S/4 HANA, you can migrate to S/4 HANA from classic GL
- Migration from Classic GL to S/4 HANA 1610 (1503, 1511, 1605 and 1610) was possible, but subsequently document splitting was not possible and due to this SAP recommendation was to activate first New GL (Ledger introduction and document splitting) and then migrate to S/4 HANA
- Migration from Classic GL (without activating to New GL) to S/4 HANA 1709 is possible, additionally, now subsequent document splitting and ledger introduction is possible in S/4 HANA 1709. This is the reason, now there is no need of doing a project for New GL activation in ECC environment.
- Need to keep in mind that there might be possible three separate projects for converting ECC on classic GL to S/4 HANA with document splitting and parallel accounting (additional ledgers).
- Subsequent Ledger (Parallel Accounting) introduction was possible from SAP S/4 HANA Finance SAP 1605 and S/4 HANA 1610.
- A new scenario has been evolved in S/4 HANA 1709 for customers who are already in SAP ERP with HANA1 (Suite on HANA) or S/4 HANA with HANA1 (S/4 HANA Finance 1503, 1605 and S/4 HANA 1511, 1610) and want migrate to S/4 HANA 1709 (which is on HANA2). Migration has to be done in two phases:
# Project Phases for Migrating SAP ECC System to S/4 HANA 1709
Considering there is one SAP ECC customer with classic GLs and he wants to move to S/4 HANA 1709. He also wants have functionality such as document splitting and parallel accounting (additional ledgers).
Phase 1: ECC Migration to S/4 HANA
a. Preparatory Phase
- System Requirement (Unicode Conversion)
- Maintenance Planner
- Custom Code Pre-Parathion
b. Technical Migration (SUM)
- Database Migration
- Software Upgrade
- Data Conversion
c. Delta Customization
d. Data (Functional) Migration (Migration Cockpit)
Phase2: Activation of Parallel Ledger (Non-Leading Ledger Introduction)
SAP has two approaches to meet multi GAAP reporting requirements i.e. the account approach and the ledger approach
- Preparatory Phase
- Execution Phase
- Post – Processing Phase
Phase3: Activation of Document Splitting
- Preparatory Phase
- Execution Phase
- Post – Processing Phase
(Further detailing can be obtained from this blog https://blogs.sap.com/2017/12/11/subsequent-document-splitting-in-s4-hana-finance-1709-on-premise/#)
Note: No SLO service is required for activating document splitting subsequently. Standard document splitting activation cockpit is available in IMG node in S/4 HANA 1709.
# Major/Select Changes in S/4 HANA 1709
If you are going to customer for sales pitch before that please get the understanding of ‘what is new in S/4 HANA 1709’.
- New HANA Data Base i.e. HANA 2 DB
- Machine Learning capabilities on S/4 HANA 1709 On-Premise
- Expanding Core with Embedded
- Innovation on Core: Demand Driven Replacement, Advanced Variant Configuration, Real Time Inventory Management (e.g. Oil & Gas)
- New S/4 HANA Migration Cockpit
- New addition to SAP Fiori Lot
This blog has motivated me to pick the most ideal approach to redesign my expertise utilizing SAP preparing.
very good blog to take this as reference. keep writing this kind of blogs. Great work.
Thanks Siva. Sure I will try to contribute as much as possible.
Great efforts, very well explained and detailed, thanks a lot for sharing
Excellent information ! Thank you !
Great information! Our company are on BSoH and using SAP Classic GL for additional coding block reporting and Document Splitting at Profit Center level. Which conversion method would be the most suitable one for our company? Can we migrate it at a single step? Any additional documentation or information is well appreciated.
Hello, great informations!
SAP says that implementation of NEW G/L before migrating to S/4 HANA is must procedure.
Could you please say if it possible to migrate from SAP ERP Classic directly to S/4 HANA ? You wrote that :
"Migration from Classic GL (without activating to New GL) to S/4 HANA 1709 is possible, additionally, now subsequent document splitting and ledger introduction is possible in S/4 HANA 1709. This is the reason, now there is no need of doing a project for New GL activation in ECC environment."
Did you already make a conversion from ERP Classic to S/4 HANA?