SAP Cloud Platform Business Rules – Extensions and Consumption Patterns
SAP Cloud Platform Business Rules is a platform service which enables business users & application developers to automate their decisions and enhance their decision-making experience. The service was released in Neo trial and factory accounts in August 2017. This was our first footprint into the transformational journey of unifying the modelling experience of various rules technologies at SAP.
The ultimate goal is to enable our customers and partners to benefit from the best-in-class features from these different enterprise business rules technologies (like BRF+, HRF, BRM etc.) in a united framework where on one side, we will offer simplified Fiori-based rule authoring tool & a central rule repository and on other side we provide deployment options to different runtimes and enable partners & other SAP development teams to contribute their own runtimes as well.
Integration and consumption is the key. How you integrate business rules with different data, services and solutions, to obtain efficient outcomes depends on the decision paths you choose. In this blog, I will talk about various such consumption patterns that you can use to leverage the power of business rules capabilities of cloud in your applications/solutions.
So, let us first start with grouping and listing down these various consumption patterns and their usage scenarios:
Pattern 1 – In App Extension for Cloud Applications
- Standalone usage in SAPUI5 applications
- Embed Business Rules SAPUI5 control in your custom applications
Pattern 2 – Decisions for Integration & Orchestration
- Exposing the decision points as business rules in SAP Cloud Platform Workflow
- Routing decisions for system centric integration process
- Abstracting business logic for IoT applications
Pattern 3 – S/4HANA Side by Side Extensibility
- SAP HANA native runtime by deploying the Rules as HANA SQL Procedures
- S/4HANA In App extensibility with Business Rules Framework Plus(BRF+
I will cover use cases for each pattern in one separate blog as part of this blog series. In first round, I will write about usage scenario 1,2 and 3 and later I will publish other patterns.
Before you start with the usage scenarios, here are some prerequisites that need to ensured.
- Business Rules service must be enabled in your SAP Cloud Platform account
- User must have RuleSuperUser role for Rules Repository and Runtime
Catalog for usage scenarios
Pattern1 #Usage Scenario1
Use SAP Cloud Platform Business Rules in your custom applications
Pattern1 #Usage Scenario2
Embed Business Rules SAPUI5 control in your custom applications
Pattern2 #Usage Scenario1
Using Business Rules in SAP Cloud Platform Workflow