HANA 1.0 vs HANA 2.0
A lot of customers asked me in the last weeks ‘what should be used HANA 1.0 or HANA 2.0?’. There are some reasons you can’t avoid to migrate to HANA 2.0, but there are still some aspects left resulting in staying at HANA 1.0.
There are tons of new features and improvements with HANA 2.0, but do you really need them?
The most common answer against HANA 2.0 is the complexity coming with MDC. For sure you have to review your concepts for running HANA systems regarding security/authorizations, backup&restore, parametrization and monitoring. SAP will improve such tasks and make the switch easier, but it is currently a challenge to adapt it.
When should and when I have to use HANA 2 or even it is not wise to upgrade?
The ‘should’ section is more like nice to have but may not really important for your business.
The ‘have to’ section includes aspects which you can’t avoid or influence if they come true.
The ‘should not’ section listing all characteristics pro HANA 1.0.
For sure the list is not complete and there are more aspects and I will adjust it if there are more important ones, but it only should give you a first overview and tendency.
You should use it when you…:
- want to benefit from new performance features like Dynamic result Cache, improved garbage collection / locking, optimized compression, HEX (HANA Execution Engine), ESX (Extended SQL Executor)
- want to use event triggered log backups
- want to install license keys for individual tenant databases
- want to use Data Shipping Parallelization within HSR
- want to use redo log encryption (1642148)
- want to restore a single database backup directly into a tenant database (2096000)
- want to lower your TCO with persistent memory (pmem) / NVM / NVRAM (2618154)
- want to use HANA Cockpit for monitoring and managing your HANA databases (some features are only supported in connection with HANA 2.0)
You have to use it when…:
- it is planned to use S/4 HANA 1709+ (2524661)
- it is planned to use BW/4 HANA 2.0 (2347382)
- it is planned to use HSR active / active (2391079)
- it is planned to use POWERPC SLES12 LE (little endianness)
- you want to use special functions/features in SDA / SDI / SDQ (more supported remote databases and functions/syntax)
- you want to migrate from INTEL to PowerPC or vice versa via restore/recovery (1642148)
- you want use Cross-SID-copy: Backint-based backups of a tenant database ca be recovered into a tenant database using a target SID or tenant NAME that is different to the original one (2096000)
- you want to use HANA Cockpit 2.0 (running only on HANA 2.0)
- it is planned to use secondary time travel feature with HSR (HANA 2.0 SPS03)
- it is planned to use multi-target replication (HANA 2.0 SPS03)
You should not use it when…:
- you are currently on old hardware: Haswell and older => recommended to buy new HW (2399995)
- you are using SLES11 SP4 BE (big endianness) with PowerPC and don’t want to migrate (till end of maintenance of SLES11 SP4)
- currently no feature used and not planned to use which only comes with HANA 2.0
- you want to avoid using MDC (default mode since HANA 2.0 SP01)
- you are using XSC (XS Classic) and not ready to use XSA (XS Advanced) – XSC is still supported but not recommended (2396214)
- you are using a deprecated feature (2425002)
- your current release / product is not supported on HANA 2.0 (see PAM)
- you are affected by the limitation using cross tenant access (2196359 / 2312583)
Another question which also comes up is regarding stability. This depends on how do you use your database? Which features are used and how proper you followed the best practices (system setup / parameters) of your hardware and software vendors. Do you frequently review the known issues of your SPS? May be there are some workarounds to get your revision stable.
|2265103||SAP HANA DB: Known issues detected in SPS11|
|2325090||SAP HANA DB: Known issues detected in SPS12|
|2432112||SAP HANA DB: Known issues detected in Hana 2.0 SPS00|
|2462139||SAP HANA DB: Known issues detected in Hana 2.0 SPS01|
|2525424||SAP HANA DB: Known issues detected in Hana 2.0 SPS02|
|2628684||SAP HANA DB: Known issues detected in Hana 2.0 SPS03|
For the major issues you can check the SAP HotNews collection for every SPS:
|2687717||SAP HANA DB: SAP HotNews in HANA 1.0 SPS11|
|2687727||SAP HANA DB: SAP HotNews in HANA 1.0 SPS12|
|2688419||SAP HANA DB: SAP HotNews in HANA 2.0 SPS00|
|2687443||SAP HANA DB: SAP HotNews in HANA 2.0 SPS01|
|2663153||SAP HANA DB: SAP HotNews in HANA 2.0 SPS02|
|2688515||SAP HANA DB: SAP HotNews in HANA 2.0 SPS03|
For details what will be changed in each SPS check help.sap.com and the HANA Academy channel
nice Blog, as this question is raised everywhere in the last time ...
for additional limitations about the MDC usage forced with HANA 2.0 see also the following SAP Notes especially together with BW on/for HANA:
Note 2096000 - SAP HANA multitenant database containers - Additional Information
Note 2121768 - Considerations with SAP HANA multitenant database containers, SAP BW, and SAP BW/4HANA
Note 2196359 - Limitations for cross-database access in an SAP HANA MDC environment
Note 2312583 - FAQ: BW and HANA MDC: Cross-Database-Access in HANA Multitenant Database Containers
Best Regards Roland
thanks for the follow up! I have added the MDC cross tenant access as limitation. Good additional aspect for the list.
I hope in Hana 2.0 realase the sql Recursive CTE
I hope that Hana will be around 90% compatible with SQL SERVER, SAP likes to see programmers suffer to convert. 🙂
Hi Jens, Roland,
Thanks for posting this detailed topic on HANA 2.0. However I'm struggling to answer the question "
- There's no central tool or one place where it lists this information on SAP service marketplace; PAM, SAP product page & SAP release notes, all been explored however all information is in bits and pieces and majority of the components doesn’t have any mention of HANA 2.0.
- Additionally researching/ looking for relevant information in all the Release notes is hugely time consuming and lot of the components it ends up finding no mention of HANA.
- For instance SAP note#2420699 lists only certain Product versions as validated on HANA 2.0 platform. However in my organization we've a larger list of products installed in the SAP landscape which is not covered in note#2420699.
All i find is a blanket statement in SAP's Release and maintenance & revision strategy saying HANA platform is downward compatible. Appreciate for sharing your thoughts.
thanks for the input. Well to answer you question we have to separate it into two parts, because on the one side is the product you running which is in the responsibility of SAP and on the other hand side we have third party addons.
For the product itself, as you already mentioned, you can use the PAM and the central note of the product. For instance SCM EhP4:
But this is nothing new that you have to check two sources. On anyDB you also have to do this.
The other topic is regarding the third party addons. Here you have to check/contact each vendor, which release of their addon is HANA 2.0 ready, because for the most addons there are no SAP notes. Is it time consuming? Yes, if you don’t know where to start your search. Ist there one single source of truth? No, but this is not the only topic which you will spend a lot of time as SAP admin.
Great info from all contributors. Thanks!
For those interested and new to the topic, also posted two blogs at a more introductory level: