SAP Extended Warehouse Management 9.5 released!
SAP Extended Warehouse Management (EWM) has been a true success story. The last 11 years witnessed the impressive growth of SAP EWM – with the coverage of more than 2800 customers, 24 industries and 44 countries. The success continues with the launch of SAP EWM 9.5 on November 30th, 2017, which offers significant enhancements in the area of industry requirement fulfillment, function extensions, further product integration and so on.
I interviewed Chief Product Owner of SAP Extended Warehouse Management, Jörg Michaelis, about the highlights in SAP EWM 9.5 in this video:
What’s new with SAP EWM 9.5?
- Major new capabilities are delivered for advanced labor planning and labor activity tracking (based on shift data, travel distances, labor standards, time and attendance, reported activities etc.). It covers all warehouse activities, which brings fair evaluation to individuals as well as teams and shifts.
- E-Commerce is one of the leading growth driver for warehouse management solution market. SAP EWM 9.5 provides more options to better support the e-commerce requirements including:
- Pick by Cart – Application developed with SAP Fiori technic. It helps pickers to pick products for multiple customer orders in a more efficient way with a pick cart, and the easy-to-use user interface also diminishes the training effort on warehouse operatives.
- E-Commerce Returns App 2.0 – Enhancement was added to this app which has been available since EWM 9.4. It brought up the concept of “access code” like the barcode for product, serial number, etc., which makes the return tasks more streamlined and handled faster.
- Change Delivery / Order Reduction – it’s simply common for on-line customers to change order quantities, delivery dates and so on. These made it essential for the order handling platform including EWM to support the change delivery and order reduction requests. Starting from EWM 9.5, the relevant features were added.
To maximize the space utilization and to increase operation efficiency are different dimensions for warehouse optimization. SAP EWM 9.5 offers Pallet Planning to better organize the package building based on the algorithm from Transportation Management, which helps to streamline pick and pack in a more efficient way. Stock Consolidationmakes it possible to merge partial quantities into complete ones so that more warehouse space can be freed.
Analytics – CDS View for Outbound
Core Data Services views are now available in SAP EWM 9.5 for outbound process with predefined CDS data models. These can be used for dashboards and analytics with SAP Smart Business or SAP Fiori for Warehouse Experts (i.e. for outbound delivery KPI reporting and analysis) and Warehouse Shift Supervisors (i.e. for outbound workload and execution progress analysis and operations alerting).
Reduce TCI / TCO
To reduce the total cost of implementation and total cost of ownership of EWM have always been the target. In SAP EWM 9.5, further innovations are available. Same products from the same bins can be picked together although they are from different warehouse tasks. This supports serial number and pick-by-voice is also possible now. Moreover, multiple warehouse orders can be grouped and handled together by one resource, which better utilizes the resource capacity in a warehouse.
Integration with SAP Global Batch Traceability (GBT)
SAP EWM sends batch information to SAP GBT during inbound/outbound processes and this makes a full batch traceability possible from inbound through outbound.
The embedded EWM in SAP S/4HANA 1709 was released earlier this year. SAP EWM 9.5 shares a unique code line with it and both solutions provide the same functions. To understand more about the relationship between SAP EWM 9.5 and embedded EWM in SAP S/4HANA 1709, please visit this page: