Start using ByDesign’s new HTML5 client
Are you still using the Silverlight-based user interface for Business ByDesign? In this blog I will explain why you should switch to the new HTML5-based UI as soon as possible and where you can find all relevant information.
The new HTML5 client features SAP’s award-winning Fiori design and it gives you improved efficiency (e.g. much faster rendering & a Launchpad for fast access). Although the look & feel is different, you will quickly notice that the navigation paradigms are still the same. Be aware that from now on all future innovations are solely going into the HTML5 UI and we even plan to deprecate the Silverlight UI with 1811.
Listen to Rainer Zinow in this video to better understand why you should start using the HTML5 UI.
Want to learn more about SAP Business ByDesign’s new HTML5 UI?
- Watch the video about the Top Things to know
- Read this comprehensive summary of the main changes in our HTML5 user interface
- Here you can find dedicated detailed descriptions on the key innovations:
- Learn more about the enhanced built-in analytics capabilities
- Read up on the known limitations in case document 2372377
Need to train your end-users?
You can find training material here
Steps to Silverlight client deprecation
- 1802: HTML is now the standard client for Business ByDesign. This means that all new tenants will be setup to use HTML as the default client unless they are created as a copy from a productive tenant which has Silverlight set as the default.
- 1805: From 1805 onwards the default client is HTML for ALL tenants. This means that all users will automatically get the HTML5 client when they connect to SAP Business ByDesign – unless the key user changes the default client back to Silverlight via the company settings.
- 1811: We plan to deprecate the Silverlight client with 1811. This means that as of 1811 you can no longer set the default client to Silverlight in the company settings.
Mobile is next
Currently our SAP Business ByDesign mobile apps are a mix of native and HTML-based apps some for the smartphone (iPhone & Android) some for tablet usage (iPad) We are now investing to streamline and renew our smartphone HTML5-based ByDesign mobile apps.
We are currently validating the new SAP Business ByDesign Mobile Player App for Smartphones as a Beta version with selected customers and partners. We hope to achieve general availability of the new ByDesign mobile app with added content with the SAP Business ByDesign Release 1811. Check out this labs preview of SAP Business ByDesign Mobile.
By the way: even without SAP Business ByDesign Mobile you can of course already use HTML5-based ByDesign via your browser of your mobile devices using the standard URL and login. It is not optimized for mobile and there is no device integration, but if you can live with more scroll bars for the time being it is a nice alternative if you are on the road.
Legal Disclaimer: none of this is a commitment, it is a statement of intention. Possible future developments are subject to change and may be changed at any time for any reason without notice.
Thanks! This addresses many oft asked questions!
Do you have planned release dates of 1805 and 1808?
you can check the exact dates for your upgrades in the Work Center 'Service Control Center' view 'Maintenance' schedule.
Test system upgrades for 1805 are scheduled for either 21.4.18 or 28.4.18.
Productive system upgrades for 1805 are scheduled for either 5.5.18 or 19.5.18
Test system upgrades for 1808 are scheduled for either 21.7.18 or 28.7.18.
Productive system upgrades for 1808 are scheduled for either 4.8.18 or 18.8.18
based on current planning.
Do you have the trainning material in Spanish??
Is it possible to access with the Silverlight UI when ByD version is 1805?
If it can, please tell me how.
yes, you can still access the Silverlight UI with ByD 1805. There are 2 options:
Thank you for your information.
We found a way to access in HTML5 tenant with Silverlight.
It is add "/sap/public/ap/ui/repository/SAP_UI/Runtime/StartPage.html?app.component=/SAP_UI_CT/Main/root.uiccwoc&rootWindow=X&redirectUrl=/sap/public/byd/runtime" after the URL of the tenant.
Is this supported by SAP? Is it OK to use it?
it is ok to use it for the time being. But remember that we plan to deprecate the Silverlight client soon an once it is fully deprecated also this will no longer work.
If I work with html5, what happens to the interface, for example currency. Will this taken over
which interface is your inquiry about? The user interface or are you talking about some other API?
The HTML5 UI will have full feature parity. There will still be a couple of minor limitations with 1808, which we will publish via the well-known list (see link in this blog).
Should you encounter anything that does not work, but used to work in Silverlight I kindly ask you to raise a support ticket so we can fix it.