Managing General Ledger Accounts in SAP S/4 HANA
This is Vijaygandh Arumugam, working as Sr.Lead FICO Consultant in CenturyLink.
In this Blog, I would like to share the changes made in General Ledger Master Data in S/4 HANA.
- SAP S/4 HANA General Ledger Account Master data Changes
- G/L Account Type in GL Master Data
- Cost Element Category Field in GL Master Data
- Default Account Assignment in Cost Element master data
- Statistical Cost Element for Balance Sheet accounts
- In ECC SAP Accounting, General Ledger account consists of Chart of accounts data (SKA1), Company code specific data (SKB1) and account description data (SKAT)
- In Controlling, Primary cost element consists of Chart of accounts data (CSKA), Controlling Area Data (CSKB) and description data (CSKU). Secondary cost elements exists only in CSK* tables
- In SAP S/4 HANA, General Ledger Master Data is the master record for GL account and Cost element. This document explains how this change works at system architecture level and changes in Master data maintenance and other transactions.
SAP S/4 HANA General Ledger Account Master data Changes – GL Account Type
- New field ‘G/L Account Type’ is added in G/L Master data in Chart of Account Segment. The general ledger account type determines how the general ledger account can be used in financial accounting (FI) and controlling (CO).
- GL Master Data can be classified under the below options:
- X – Balance Sheet Account
- Balance Sheet Accounts
- N- Non-operating Expenses or Income
- Profit & Loss account used only in FI.
- P- Primary Costs or Revenue
- Profit & Loss account used both in FI & CO
- S- Secondary Costs
- Profit & Loss account used only in CO
- The tables SKA1, SKB1 and SKAT are always filled for all account types. Tables CSK* are also updated for G/L account type > P – Primary costs or revenue and S – Secondary Costs.
- New Field ‘Cost Element Category’ under Control Data updates account settings for the Controlling Area.
- The following cost element categories are available when G/L account type P – Primary Cost or Revenue is selected.
|1||Primary costs/cost-reducing revenues|
|3||Accrual/deferral per surcharge|
|4||Accrual/deferral per debit = actual|
- The following cost element categories are available when G/L account type S – Secondary Costs is selected.
|31||Order/project results analysis|
|43||Internal activity allocation|
|50||Project-related incoming orders: Sales revenue|
|51||Project-related incoming orders: Other revenues|
|52||Project-related incoming orders: Costs|
|66||Reporting Cost Element CO-PA|
Default Account Assignment in Cost Element master data
- Default Account Assignment is NO longer available at Master data level in SAP S/4 HANA Finance.
- Default account assignment can be defined in Automatic account assignment (OKB9) or through substitution rules only.
- Default account assignments maintained in former cost element master data are migrated to OKB9 as a part of migration process.
Statistical Cost Element for Balance Sheet accounts
- Account which is used for planning capital expenditure on costing objects needs to define as statistical cost element (Cost element category – 90).
- The following process to be followed for creating statistical cost elements in SAP S/4 HANA Finance.
- Account is created as G/L account type – Balance Sheet account
- Account Group to be either Fixed Assets or Material Accounts
- Account is a reconciliation account or material account.
- Accounts have been set up in Asset or Material management account assignment.
- Select ‘Apply Acct Assignments Statistically in Fixed Asset Acct/Material Acct’ checkbox in G/L account Master data as mentioned in below screenshot.
Hope this Blog will helps you to understand the changes in General Ledger Master Data in S/4 HANA.
You can expect another Blog on Managing Ledgers in SAP Accounting Powered by SAP-HANA.