If your website is not getting the attention you’re expecting, then you’re most probably doing something wrong in regard to SEO. You may want to revisit your SEO strategies, as there are certain things about search engine optimization that many of us don’t know when we are starting out.
Looking back over the last decade, there are several things I wish a beginner should know about SEO before getting started. We’ll be going through the most significant ideas of SEO, so you have the leg up on the competition.
There are Diverse Opinions on SEO
You should realize that search engines don’t provide us with a specific instructional manual on everything we should know. That results in many opinions about SEO.
If you get a panel of three SEO experts together and ask them one question, you will probably get three different answers and opinions. This can be very confusing if you are new to SEO. You know why?
You don’t know which opinion to take and which one to ignore. You may want to go with the opinion of the most experienced person. However, the best way to approach this issue is to do a comprehensive research. There are numerous valuable SEO resources out there produced by experienced professionals.
Search Engines are Dynamic
Google updates their algorithm at least hundreds of times every year. So, when you are celebrating that you finally have it all figured out, something changes. How do you deal with this dynamism?
It is imperative that you understand search engine guidelines. There are some fundamentals that you need to grasp. Then, you should start reading Google blogs regularly, in addition to following key Google employees on social media. This ensures that you’re always updated on latest developments.
Of course, there are certain basic rules that apply, and will most likely continue to apply for just about any site that aims to rank well:
- Make sure your site is mobile-friendly
- It’s better to have a smaller number of well-organized pages then dozens of useless ones
- If relevant, you should look into adding a blog to your site
- Social media is important, and posting useful content regularly is even better, so don’t skip this step
- Have a well-defined niche and stick to it. Sites that host just about anything don’t do so well, instead, you should ask yourself what are you really trying to accomplish, and then try to become an authority in that field. Just as SAP is an authority in enterprise software, TechCrunch for all things tech, and LifeToLiveIt for health-related topics, you too should carve your niche and dominate it.
- List your business everywhere. Local directories, Google Maps, anything that will let you register your site and let people know you exist and are open for business.
Transparency is Key
If you are running an SEO agency, you should realize that clients need transparency. If you don’t provide it, your business will be at risk, even if you’re doing top-quality work. Sometimes, the deliverable could be something that doesn’t need client feedback. Just send it in a bid to uphold full transparency and accountability.
Transparency also includes comprehensive monthly reporting. Namely, there should be context and explanation to the data, not simply an auto-generated report. You need to effectively highlight the work accomplished during the month.
SEO Won’t Grow Your Business Overnight
While searching for SEO-based content, you must have come across SEO service providers that promise to increase your website traffic instantly. Those are mostly scams as it is most certainly not possible to achieve.
Unless you are applying some black-hat technique that may end up having a negative impact on your website. It can also be spam-based traffic that will just end up destroying your analytics. While SEO is effective, it won’t grow your business instantly. You know why?
When you are just starting to build your online presence, you already have millions of websites to compete with for organic traffic. It will take you several months to beat that. According to Forbes, many SEO agencies will tell clients that SEO will generate results in four to six months’ time.
That is based on several factors, which include:
- How efficient your website is
- How much content there is
- How many links you use
As a final thought, if you are just starting on SEO, there are several things you should know in order to achieve the desired results. In that light, this article explores the four most important things to keep in mind before you get into SEO. Follow them diligently and see SEO work for you.