Twitter Takeover – SAP S/4HANA Cloud: Implementation with SAP Activate Q&A
Last month, on September 21st, we held our first Twitter Takeover event lead by authors Sven Denecken (SVP, Head of Product Management and Co-Innovation SAP S/4HANA) and Jan Musil (SAP Activate Chief Product Owner) for the newly released SAP S/4HANA Cloud: Implementation with SAP Activate E-Bite (August 2017). This Q&A event gave the Twitter audience interested in knowing more about the book, the opportunity to ask our SAP Activate Methodology leaders their burning questions LIVE with transparency on implementing with SAP Activate during project deployments using SAP S/4HANA Cloud.
Over the course of the hour, Sven and Jan answered questions ranging from the previous methodology approach, ASAP, and why SAP Activate is now the current and leading methodology for SAP implementations to the benefits of using SAP Activate. This session also covered cloud topics such as Fit-to-Standard and security to give the audience an understanding of the cloud offerings and key topics which should be discussed.
With sixty minutes on the clock, we were able to answer an astounding 20 questions from our audience which kept the session informative and exciting. Our leaders enjoyed the session just as much as we hope you did and we appreciate you tuning into the Twitter Takeover event to ask your burning questions for the new E-Bite, SAP S/4HANA Cloud: Implementation with SAP Activate. If you were unable to join the event, we have listed all of the questions our which were asked along with the corresponding answers below for your reference.
If you were able to join the session in September, let us know what you thought of it in the comments section of this blog – we would love to know your feedback!
-The SAP Activate Team
- Q: Why has SAP moved from ASAP to SAP Activate?
A: SAP Activate is a framework of content, configuration tools and methodology designed for cloud first. It’s built on lessons from cloud and on-premise implementations, which uses the latest technology innovation. It works for a wide range of SAP solutions, including SAP S/4HANA Cloud, SAP S/4HANA, SAP BW/4HANA, and SF.
- Q: Is there any side-by-side comparison table on how/why is SAP Activate is ‘better’ than ASAP?
A: Yes, indeed we do have this comparison for SAP Activate vs. ASAP for on-premise implementations. For cloud we have comparison 2 SAP Launch. And next to the comparison -> we are moving from classical implementation to “activate” functions. I suggest you to join the SAP Activate Jam community in SAP Jam http://bit.ly/SAPActivate – both assets are there and you will be joining a strong community of 20k+ experts there.
- Q: How has the adoption rate and user experience been so far using SAP Activate?
A: It’s been very positive, and frankly we have been blown away by the response. The combination of BP, Agile Method, and Guided Config has been well-received.
- Q: What is the biggest benefit of a two-tier ERP system?
A: Leveraging the current ERP environment while also allowing your IT infrastructure to innovate and move to the cloud. And very common: faster execution of Mergers & Acquisitions as well as divestitures.
- Q: What is the biggest benefit of SAP S/4HANA Cloud that an on-premise system cannot give?
A: See cloud qualities early on in our SAP PRESS E-Bite, SAP S/4HANA Cloud: Implementation with SAP Activate. Key ones are quarterly innovation, managed environment, native integration. Additionally, guided configuration, flexible deployment and dynamic extensibility.
- Q: I hear a lot about fit-to-standard, what is it?
A: Fit-to-standard is modern way to assess the fit of pre-delivered business processes to customer business. Start simple. It is done instead of time-consuming blueprinting exercises like in the past. The key part is walking through the processes in a live system, confirming the fit and defining configuration values aided by guidance.
- Q: For SAP S/4HANA Cloud, many SAP users are worried about security. Is any deliverable of the Activate methodology taking care of Security?
A: It’s the same for all cloud solutions, security starts in the way you develop—we have the highest standards here.
- Q: What three “Advance Preparedness Tips” can we give to a client wanting to use SAP Activate?
A: 1) Get enabled through SAP Learning Hub—ACT training portfolio, a good mix of e-learning, classroom and certification. 2) Pick the right partner to help you with implementation. Many SAP implementation partners adopted. 3) Engage with SAP Activate community in SAP Jam – click here to sign-up.
- Q: What are your top five lessons learned and other preparedness on SAP Activate that we need to inform clients?
A: There are many lessons, especially for clients moving from ASAP. 1) Fit-to-standard is very different from traditional blueprinting. 2) It’s important to enable the business users prior to fit-to-standard. 3) Agile is a great way to build the solution iteratively and incrementally and focused. 4) Cloud changes everything about your implementation. Most people did not yet make that mental transition. 5) Thinking about implementation as fast deployment and continuous innovation, rather than a one-time thing, which leads historically to long projects.
- Q: Does Solution Manager somehow also play a role in SAP Activate?
A: Yes, Solution Manager has a significant role in hybrid deployments and on-premise deployments. It’s an important part of implementation.
- Q: How well is SAP Activate integrated with SolMan?
A: Solution Manager is well embedded with SAP Activate. Especially in the hybrid deployments and on-premise implementations.
- Q: Can SAP Activate be also used in Conversion/Migration Projects such as from SAP ECC to S/4HANA?
A: Yes. The SAP Activate roadmap for Transition to SAP S/4HANA in Roadmap Viewer has the guidance. You can find it here (New Implementation, System Conversion and Landscape Transformation).
- Q: Does SAP Activate also help with various testings (Unit Testing, Integration Testing, Stress Testing)?
A: Indeed. All the aspects of proper testing are embedded into the guidance: Unit, String, Integration, Stress and Stress/Load. The majority of testing is covered in the Application: Testing work stream in Activate.
- Q: Can SAP Activate automatically create of End-User Training Documents (based on successful Unit/Integration Testing)?
A: SAP Activate comes with pre-delivered BP Test Scripts that serve as great start for documentation. There are also test scripts for SAP S/4HANA Cloud.
- Q: Is Activate taking care of Value Management Life Cycle?
A: Yes, the Value Management is part of the Solution Adoption work stream. SAP is currently working on updating it.
- Q: How is the Legacy Retirement Plan handled by SAP Activate?
A: It’s part of the transition planning, cutover management, and system management in SAP Activate.
- Q: Is SAP Activate methodology helpful for SAP Leonardo’s future?
A: Yes, we are leveraging SAP Leonardo to automate SAP S/4HANA Cloud via machine learning—and it will become part of SAP Activate.
- Q: Is the SAP Activate framework applicable to only SAP S/4HANA Cloud?
A: Not only SAP S/4HANA Cloud. SAP provides Activate for other solutions like SuccessFactors, SAP BW/4HANA and other solutions. You can find the methodology in the SAP Roadmap Viewer and preconfigured content in SAP Best Practices Explorer. Find it here.
- Q: Of the six phases of the SAP Activate methodology, which is the most important to focus on?
A: While all important, the start is critical—Prepare and Explore. Especially high quality fit-to-standard is critical.
- Q: Where, besides this E-Bite, can I learn about SAP Activate?
A: SAP delivers SAP Activate guidance in the methodology in SAP Roadmap Viewer. You can take advantage of enablement in the SAP Learning Hub or courses on OpenSAP. Specifically ACT10E/100, ACT200. Start with the launchpad for All Things SAP Activate and join the community!