With SAP BW Modelling tools 1.17, user can create any source system directly from Eclipse based SAP BW Modelling tools. This is editor is only available for SAP BW/4 HANA system whereas in SAP BW on HANA system user still need to define source system via traditional SAP GUI interface.
In SAP BW/4 HANA, these are few source systems which are available: – ODP based source system (SAPI, CDS, HANA, BW, SLT), HANA source system (SAP HANA Local Database Schema, SAP HANA Smart Data Access, SAP HANA Tenant Database schema), BIG Data and local file source system. We will see how to create ODP-SAPI source system.
The creation of new source system can be done via file menu, context menu of the project, Data source node and from data source folder (E.g. ODP_SAP, ODP_BW, HANA_LOCAL and so on). With the new source system editor, user must select as which type of source system he is creating as ODP based, HANA local source system, etc.
While defining ODP based source system, user must choose as what is the connection of source system. There are three type of connection from which user can choose: –
- RFC to same system: – To connect to same system with RFC connection.
- RFC to different system: – Connect to other system like SAPI, BW via RFC connection.
- HTTP connection: – Connect to other system via HTTP connection. Here the user should navigate to SOA manager to create logical port for the Web services- which must be of same name as of source system.
User also need to create connection to the system if the connection with same name as of source system is not present. In new source system maintenance we have three different RFC connection which can be edited with edit button. The status icon shows whether the connection is fine or broken. For Example, if the one of the connection is broken then status for that connection will represent the same with red cross sign and if connection is fine then the same is represented by green check sign. There are 3 connection that can be seen in ODP based source system maintenance screen: –
- Logical Destination: – Used to connect to Remote System.
- Dialog Destination: – used to connect to remote system with a dialog user. This is optional.
- Callback Destination: – used to connect from remote system to BW system.
With respect to ODP based source system user have to select the context of ODP source from the dropdown menu “ODP Context”. These are the context :-
- [SAPI] DataSources/Extractors
- [BW] SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse
- [ABAP_CDS] ABAP Core Data Services
- [HANA] HANA Information Views
Another important option in new source system editor is “Remote tree” check box. The Upload tree menu on toolbar of source system maintenance screen is associated with status of remote tree in source system.
It is enabled for only source system type ODP and only when Remote tree is enabled. This option is not available for all other source system types, e.g. HANA data source, file. In this case, a “local tree” is used which is shared by all source system which do not have a “remote tree” and (in case of ODP) not for all releases. For ODP-SAPI, the upload tree functionality brings the Hierarchy defined in source system application component. For ODP-BW, it uploads brings the info areas created.