This paper presents how to set up an environment for SAP ASE database servers to use Amazon S3, S3-IA, and Glacier storage to manage backup files through the AWS File Gateway. The File Gateway is a version of the AWS Storage Gateway that provides NFS access to Amazon S3 and S3-IA. With this setup, SAP ASE backup server has infinite storage provided via AWS Storage Gateway by means of an NFS mounted file system. Database backups to this special NFS file system are transparently transferred to Amazon S3. All that is required is to setup a File Gateway Virtual Machine (VM) using an OVF image provided by AWS . This VM is setup on an on-premises ESXi host,and acts as an NFS Gateway to Amazon S3, S3-IA, and Glacier.
This solution brings many benefits:
- Simplicity of setup, usage and pricing
- Low-cost storage
- Policy based migration from S3 to Se-IA, and archiving to Glacier
- Direct access to older backups in S3 or S3-IA
- Ability to distribute database backups to multiple AWS regions
- Ability to examine older backups to check on an object or item
- Ability to access your backup from anywhere in the world in the event of a disaster
- Data protection provided automatically for in-transit data as well as data at rest. In-transit protection is provided via SSL, while at-rest data protection is provided via 256-bit Advance Encryption Standard (AES-256).
The whitepaper can be found here: