VORA 2.0 & Kubernetes Demystified
VORA 2.0 & Kubernetes Demystified
SAP Vora is an in-memory, distributed computing solution for Big Data in business world. When the whole world is facing the challenge of big data, Vora provides a platform to derive meaningful business insights from the huge amount of data generated by various businesses. Release of Vora 1.0 got great customer response and various SAP partner companies are including it in their landscape to tackle the problem of big data. On September 14, SAP released Vora 2.0 for GA. Vora 2.0 will revolutionize big data analytics big time with its awesome features.
Key Features in Vora 2.0: –
- Revamped architecture, installation and deployments
- Vora 1.0 is on-premise based installation but Vora 2.0 supports on-premise, cloud based and hybrid based deployment using Google Kubernetes and Docker containers.
- It supports both kerberized and non-kerberized Hadoop clusters.
- It also has dynamic provisioning of nodes which will make “PAY as PER YOUR USE” easier if future.
- New diagnostic framework to track health of Vora cluster
- Easier user management and accessibility.
- Enhanced security module during deployments and access.
- Support for Spark 2 along with Spark 1.6
The architecture has changed a lot and caters to both cloud and on premise needs of Vora.
Source: Vora developer guide
Kubernetes: Mystery Unsolved
Kubernetes is the basic pre-requisite for Vora 2.0 and later versions. Kubernetes is Google’s open source platform to manage cluster and automatically deploy, scale and control operation of application containers.
In kubernetes applications are deployed in form of Docker containers and services. So, it makes the installation of applications faster and easier. Also, management, upgrading and scaling of applications becomes more efficient. Since Docker container images are light weight, the resource consumption will be minimum. Kubernetes has facility to replicate deployed service or application to ensure proper functioning even if any node in cluster goes down.
Isolated container based installation will allow the customers to have multiple software in same infrastructure without hampering each other’s functionality.
Significance of Kubernetes for Vora 2.0 installation
Vora 2.0 will be installed in Kubernetes as Docker containers. The Vora applications will get deployed as pods/services and can be accessed using Kubernetes host: port url combinations. This makes the cloud and on premise deployment easier and help in maintaining/upgrading/installing Vora applications easier.
Steps of installation
The installation steps are new and does not match with previous versions of Vora.
- Install kubernetes on cluster with minimum 3 nodes cluster with one node as master and rest two as worker nodes.
- Helm ,docker registry and NFS server should also be installed as prereq.
- Download Vora Distributed runtime package
- Extract and trigger installation by executing ./install.sh
- Provide all the necessary security and system parameters.
- After installation access the Kubernetes dashboard and get vora services ports in the particular namespace
- Access the services as <kubernetesmaster>:<port number of vora service>
Run the command ./install.sh –help to get the list of optional parameters and along its descriptions.
Choose the appropriate parameters and add them along with installation command
For example :
./install.sh –parameter1= value1 –parameters2=value2
POST Installation UI of Kubernetes
Enter the url in below format to get Kubernetes dashboard in browser
Select the name space to see the vora services
Go to Discovery and Load Balancing->Services
Click on any vora pod and get its active port number
Run the url => <kubernetes host>:<port of app found above> in browser to access the service
If you have multiple ports then do a hit and trial on ports to get proper ports.But usually it port starting with number 3ZZZZ.
For example vora tools looks like this
After opening the url of vora tools
So from UI or functionality point of view ,there is no change after introducing kubernetes
For more details about feature enhancements you may refer the link
Enjoy BIG Data Analytics with the new SAP Vora